743 speed control plate

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mrsweet2u

Hi, been enjoying this site for a while now. I have some oil coming out of the shaft on the speed control plate. Tried removing the plate but realized the governor springs were attached to the lever and didn't want to risk dropping the springs into the motor. I have two questions,1)how do I safely remove that plate? and 2) is the plate repairable? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Can you clarify what you call the speed control plate? Are you talking about the park brake cover? this has an arm that comes out that connects to the park brake pedal via a long bolt looking thing (technical term here). This has a spring to pull the arm back to let the brake pucks release the brake disc's.
If you can give me more detail i can give you more info on whats involved.

OP
OP
M

mrsweet2u

Can you clarify what you call the speed control plate? Are you talking about the park brake cover? this has an arm that comes out that connects to the park brake pedal via a long bolt looking thing (technical term here). This has a spring to pull the arm back to let the brake pucks release the brake disc's.
If you can give me more detail i can give you more info on whats involved.
Thanks for your reply.
The speed control plate(Melroe term) is part of the throttle linkage and is on the motor. It's attached by two nuts and two bolts , a shaft passes through the plate into the engine and is attached to two springs inside the engine. I could pull these springs pretty easy but I could drop them inside the engine prettty easy too. Would you remove the plate on the engine stop lever to access the springs? The manual shows an oring inside the speed control plate which could be worn but that wouldn't remove the slop on the shaft.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for your reply.
The speed control plate(Melroe term) is part of the throttle linkage and is on the motor. It's attached by two nuts and two bolts , a shaft passes through the plate into the engine and is attached to two springs inside the engine. I could pull these springs pretty easy but I could drop them inside the engine prettty easy too. Would you remove the plate on the engine stop lever to access the springs? The manual shows an oring inside the speed control plate which could be worn but that wouldn't remove the slop on the shaft.
OHHHH, you are talking about the engine, i was thinking about the actual machine, sorry.
I have done this before now. You don't need to remove the plate, you can actually do it with it still in place. Remove the 2 nuts on the arm and slide the arm off, remove the key then remove the plastic or metal (they are different) block that looks like a thick washer. Under here you will have an O ring, simply replace this and re-assemble, you are then set. If its tight, you can remove the plate, the springs should not fall out. Use long nose pliers and un-do them together. The way they are attached to the governor arm at the injector pump makes it quite hard for them to simply fall out. If you are worried, attach a small piece if wire to them so you can get them easily when you need to put the plate back in.
Now, the arm may be a little stiff, you can lever it off with screwdrivers but be careful of the block under it, i have had one that was very brittle, i replaced it with an aluminum one.
If you need more info, just yell.

OP
OP
M

mrsweet2u

OHHHH, you are talking about the engine, i was thinking about the actual machine, sorry.
I have done this before now. You don't need to remove the plate, you can actually do it with it still in place. Remove the 2 nuts on the arm and slide the arm off, remove the key then remove the plastic or metal (they are different) block that looks like a thick washer. Under here you will have an O ring, simply replace this and re-assemble, you are then set. If its tight, you can remove the plate, the springs should not fall out. Use long nose pliers and un-do them together. The way they are attached to the governor arm at the injector pump makes it quite hard for them to simply fall out. If you are worried, attach a small piece if wire to them so you can get them easily when you need to put the plate back in.
Now, the arm may be a little stiff, you can lever it off with screwdrivers but be careful of the block under it, i have had one that was very brittle, i replaced it with an aluminum one.
If you need more info, just yell.
Thanks Tazza, figured you'd probably done that before, that lever is really stuck on there I'll take that plate off this w/e and give it another try.​

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza, figured you'd probably done that before, that lever is really stuck on there I'll take that plate off this w/e and give it another try.
Ok, mine was stuck hard too, but 2 screw drivers, one each side i managed to get it to pop off the shaft. Good luck.