743 question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tjc

Tore my 743 down found 3 cylinders out of 4 with water in them cylinder 2 was 3/4 full, and the oil pan was overflowing when I pulled the dipstick. Cracked head or cracked block

SkidRoe

Cracked heads are more common with these engines - especially if they are overheated. Take it to a machine shop and have it checked.

I take it the head gasket looked fine?

OP
OP
T

tjc

Cracked heads are more common with these engines - especially if they are overheated. Take it to a machine shop and have it checked.

I take it the head gasket looked fine?
Yep head gasket look great

North Idaho Wolfman

Easy to see cracked heads, look for a crack between the valves and the prechamber.
And cracked blocks are very very rare and they won't put water in the pistons.
Was it water or antifreeze?
If its straight water, did it freeze? Or does it have an air cleaner leak or exhaust pipe pointed straight up?

Bigkahuna

Fi
Tore my 743 down found 3 cylinders out of 4 with water in them cylinder 2 was 3/4 full, and the oil pan was overflowing when I pulled the dipstick. Cracked head or cracked block
rst thing you check is the exhaust. Make sue no rain can enter through the stack.

OP
OP
T

tjc

Easy to see cracked heads, look for a crack between the valves and the prechamber.
And cracked blocks are very very rare and they won't put water in the pistons.
Was it water or antifreeze?
If its straight water, did it freeze? Or does it have an air cleaner leak or exhaust pipe pointed straight up?

OP
OP
T

tjc

It was antifreeze and the oil pan was full of antifreeze and oil as well, the head had a crack about an inch long in the valve port, I spent 86 bucks for them to tell me I had a cracked head that was obvious

North Idaho Wolfman

Yes that's a common issue with these engines.
You can get a new aftermarket head and new head gasket and you should be back in business.

OP
OP
T

tjc

Ordered a head yesterday, are the 1702 heads the same or is there a difference that would make them not fit correctly?

North Idaho Wolfman

No not really, some sellers don't know there is 2 differnt heads. Give me the listing and I should be able to tell you which it is.