743 gauges piggyback

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mclark

Hello guys, This is my first time on and really enjoy the info you guys give Thanks.. I just purchased a 1990 743 had a bad motor so replaced with a V2203 kubota (refer motor). The old engine was Isuzu (broke timing belt). There was no shroud or bobcat finned flywheel. Had a small fan on top of the radiator. I machined refer flywheel to accept U joint coupler. Bought bobcat mounts and installed new engine. Had radiator dipped and checked at radiator shop (OK). Installed three toyota air cond fans on top of radiator (they push air instead of suck). Reworked hydralic cooler foundation to set up against radiator and installed a fan under it to pull air down. Installed new temp sender check gauge (OK). Running bobcat for 1 hour and temp reading goes to the end of gauge but not further than the line if you know what I mean. Checked temp on engine block and up to 200F. What I want to do is piggy back another guage with numbers so I get actual reading . Is this possible ? New gauge does not fit the instrument panel and I just want to check temp then will remove gauge. I can actually install the piggy backed gauge too if I can piggyback it at all. Oh yeah I built a top cover about 12 inches above radiator to keep rain/snow off the fans and engine. Will post pics on another thread.

Tazza

Staff member
If you wanted a second gauge i suggest you install another sender in the head somewhere, you can't hook it up in parallel with the sender it has now to get an accurate reading. I see no problem using thermo fans for cooling either.
There is a large plugged port on the thermostat housing that i see no reason why you can't get an adaptor and install another calibrated sender and a gauge in the cab.

OP
OP
M

mclark

If you wanted a second gauge i suggest you install another sender in the head somewhere, you can't hook it up in parallel with the sender it has now to get an accurate reading. I see no problem using thermo fans for cooling either.
There is a large plugged port on the thermostat housing that i see no reason why you can't get an adaptor and install another calibrated sender and a gauge in the cab.
Thanks Tazza I was hoping to hear from you ,you seem to know a lot about skidsteers. I am glad I waited to hear from someone before trying to piggyback (no burned wires or fires). I'll run a another line and sender. Added pics of the old guy today.

bobbie-g

Thanks Tazza I was hoping to hear from you ,you seem to know a lot about skidsteers. I am glad I waited to hear from someone before trying to piggyback (no burned wires or fires). I'll run a another line and sender. Added pics of the old guy today.
Hey, that sounds like a terrific job! Good show! Have you considered just buying a Harbor Fright infrared thermometer to check to see how accurate your existing gauge is? I've heard others on here extol the virtues of an IR thermometer, but haven't tried mine on an engine yet. Cost about $40. :) ---RC

Centurion

Hey, that sounds like a terrific job! Good show! Have you considered just buying a Harbor Fright infrared thermometer to check to see how accurate your existing gauge is? I've heard others on here extol the virtues of an IR thermometer, but haven't tried mine on an engine yet. Cost about $40. :) ---RC
I installed a secondary temp gauge on mine, it is a hard line from the thermostat housing, and I mounted the gage above the throttle on the cage, only inconvience is when I need to raise the cover I need to loosen the screws on the gauge and set it down near the throttle so the line doesn't get broken when I raise the lid. I installed the second as a safety precaution, and because I do not trust a sender gage, the new gauge was about $10.00 at the auto parts store

OP
OP
M

mclark

Yeah I thought about the thermometer but just decided to go ahead and install a new gauge which I did. Found out the temp went up to 239 degrees way to hot. It didn't boil over . I just hope I did'nt crack my head as it's a Kubota motor and they do that.