743 Drive motor hose replacement questions?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mcj115

I'm a noobie here and noobie to skid steers. I bought a 743 for a project and now that I am finished I am actually servicing the machine. The machine leaks from both sides...I was able to track it down to three of the four hoses to the drive motors....I guess that is expected on a ~35 year old machine. The one hose that wasn't leaking had already been replaced, this was a hose from the drive motor to the hydrostatic pump on the same side. I was easily able to relace the other hose on the other side going from the motor to the pump on the same side.

Now the kicker...the two hoses that still need to be replaced are the ones from the motors to the pump that cross over to the opposite sides. These are partially hard lined (for the cross over portion) and then turn into a flex hose. From what I read these are retained by a bracket/bolt that is unreachable unless the engine is pulled and who the heck wants to do that for one bracket. The hoses I need are PN's 6563241 and 6563242. I've looked online and found that the 6563242 is currently unavailable, but I have not checked with the local dealer yet.
1) are there any hacks to access/remove the bracket holding these two hoses?
2) should I go OEM replacements? or should I go full flex hoses?
3) does anyone have and vendors online ( or ones that I can call) which may offer a off the shelf aftermarket solution?

Thanks for any advice.

FJRDarksider

I have an 853 with the Isuzu engine that sounds like the same configuration as yours. I have been dealing with repairs since I got it and have noted that getting at any fitting between the engine and backside of the hydrostat pump would be impossible without removing the motor. However, I am thinking it might be possible by removing the oil cooler and radiator (and fan assembly) and accessing from the top? All theoretical of course.......

brdgbldr

I've heard a couple of people on here that decided to bypass the hard lines and just had long hoses made up that they could thread though.

laurencen

on our 843 we replaced with a locally made flex hose, agree the motor needs to be pulled to get at most things

Tazza

Staff member
Pulling the engine really is not a hard job, you will likely need to do it to get the hose past.

As for options, one 743 i bought years ago, the previous owner welded a fitting to the end of the hard line and got a smaller home made to go from that fitting to the drive motor. I don't know how you will go with just running a hose around, getting the length spot on will be hard, and will the hose wear through over time as it will be pushing on to multiple points of the frame

Chris 8603

I did mine a few years ago. I didn't have any problems getting mine off. Well it's a little tight for a big fellow. I went with all hose because of the price and put the hose sleeves on mine. It's been 7 years and so far I have not had any leaks

OP
OP
M

mcj115

As an update to all. I waited until the bobcat brand hoses were available...then to the install. I decided to try without pulling the engine. Upon further examination the bracket on one of the hoses had broken loose from age/ vibration. Win for me. I removed that hose with the second hose with the brakes still installed, I decided to go cave man after disconnecting the two ends I just grabbed the hard parts of the line and shook, wiggled, eventually ripped the line from the mount. I re- routed the new lines in and after some Jenga I got the new lines installed like factory just without the two strap mount that are properly removed/ installed from the engine side.

As a suburban homeowner with no heavy equipment experience it wasn't too terrible...but this is why I chose an older 743...simple diesel, no turbo, no electronic controls. The worse part for me was I didn't own a 1 1/2" wrench, but it was tool shopping time at the swap meet and I now have a large DOE Cornwell wrench for $10 :)

Latest posts