743 Cold Start - Weird Stall problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skippyman

The weirdest thing just started happening and is getting worse ( with the cold weather). I start the 743 with the brake on of course, once started and still sputtering a bit (before it is running really smoothly) it's like some invisible force pushes the handles forward and of course it stalls. Any ideas what could be causing this and suggestions for diagnoses and repair?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Brant

sterlclan

did you check all the linkages?does the machine creep when it stays running?it may be as simple as an adjustment.....Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
did you check all the linkages?does the machine creep when it stays running?it may be as simple as an adjustment.....Jeff
That is just centering, kick the brake off before you start and the levers will not fly forward. I had a machine like that and i couldn't get it just rite so i just kicked the brake off before starting. It just means your pump is strong but the centre isn't quite rite.

OP
OP
S

skippyman

That is just centering, kick the brake off before you start and the levers will not fly forward. I had a machine like that and i couldn't get it just rite so i just kicked the brake off before starting. It just means your pump is strong but the centre isn't quite rite.
No creep while idling. I'll try Tazza's suggestion of starting with the brake off, although it makes me nervous - can you say wheelie? I have the shop manual and am very mechanically inclined but from what I've read on this forum elsewhere, it sounds like that linkage can be quite challenging to adjust - is this correct?
Thanks all
Brant

skidsteer.ca

No creep while idling. I'll try Tazza's suggestion of starting with the brake off, although it makes me nervous - can you say wheelie? I have the shop manual and am very mechanically inclined but from what I've read on this forum elsewhere, it sounds like that linkage can be quite challenging to adjust - is this correct?
Thanks all
Brant
If the cams are worn flat it can be tough, you may need to flip them over to wear the other side or spend some $$$
Generally they can alway be made considerably better. Sometimes the fasteners hold the adjustment work loose and simply need to be reset. Often its the result of slow gradual wear though. If you don't mind tinkering you will get it right. It not like changing a spark plug, but its not rocket science either.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
If the cams are worn flat it can be tough, you may need to flip them over to wear the other side or spend some $$$
Generally they can alway be made considerably better. Sometimes the fasteners hold the adjustment work loose and simply need to be reset. Often its the result of slow gradual wear though. If you don't mind tinkering you will get it right. It not like changing a spark plug, but its not rocket science either.
Ken
No chance of a wheelie!
When the engine starts it will just SLOWLY creep forward or backwards if its out of adjustment.
Remember these machines move slowly so it won't just launch up on 2 wheels :)
The adjustment is a bit of a pain, but its really not that hard, it can take a few goes to get it rite. Now, you said it doesn't move but try blocking the machine and see if they move. When there is no load thats when you notice that its out of adjustment.

Latest posts