743 Chain Case oil change

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

newy1234

After about 5 hours in total of pumping by hand and by 12v pump I got all the old water and oil mix! I am sure the previous owner had left the machine out in the open for a long time without use and rain water had got into case.
25082012.jpg

Cleaned the case out with kerosene and it came up ok. Refilled with about 28 litres of oil and all good.

Getting the inspection cover off the top of the case was a bit of a nightmare with the rear bolts being too close to the body work under the seat! Poor design.
Some pics of the brake discs etc.

25082012003.jpg

25082012.jpg

The front sprockets do not look to bad.

26082012005.jpg

Fishfiles

sounds like you went about that the wrong way , which cause you alot of unessecary waste of time ------------- why didn't you just pull the drain plug

OP
OP
N

newy1234

sounds like you went about that the wrong way , which cause you alot of unessecary waste of time ------------- why didn't you just pull the drain plug
Yeah that would have been nice, but another poor design, there is not drain plug in the chain case.
See page 33 of the Operators Manual.

OldMachinist

Thanks OM, I did stuff up, and now I can not edit the original post.
I fixed some more of your pictures with the links from your other thread. The last link there is a duplicate.
Only the moderators can edit on this forum.

Tazza

Staff member
I fixed some more of your pictures with the links from your other thread. The last link there is a duplicate.
Only the moderators can edit on this forum.
Your post has shown up twice.... I don't dare delete it for fear it may take both posts instead of just one...
About the work:
They don't look too bad at all. Good call on cleaning with kero, even diesel will work. I used a spray bottle and lifted the rear of the machine so it would all flow to the front. Give everything i possibly could a spray then mopped it up.
Get those inspection covers sealed up well, don't forget about the bolts too, they are easily forgotten and allow water down the threads.
It's a shame they didn't install a drain plug in this model, it sure makes it easier.

OP
OP
N

newy1234

Your post has shown up twice.... I don't dare delete it for fear it may take both posts instead of just one...
About the work:
They don't look too bad at all. Good call on cleaning with kero, even diesel will work. I used a spray bottle and lifted the rear of the machine so it would all flow to the front. Give everything i possibly could a spray then mopped it up.
Get those inspection covers sealed up well, don't forget about the bolts too, they are easily forgotten and allow water down the threads.
It's a shame they didn't install a drain plug in this model, it sure makes it easier.
Thanks again OM and Tazza, not sure how I created the second thread for the same thing, I do not remember hitting the new thread button.
Yeah Tazza I poured some kero in the case and drove the machine back and forward a few times so it got everywhere (or atleast enough everywhere). I made a new gasket for the inspection cover and also used permetx to seal it correctly. Who ever had been in there before had used silastic to seal the cover and stripped two of the threads in the case housing! This was causing oil to leak out one side and down the side of the chain case. That is one more oil leak I have fixed! YIPPEE! Only about 10 more to go. My machine will never be out in the rain so should be all good now.
I started this thread becuase I have seen posts about changing this oil but no pics etc.

7LBSSMALLIE

Thanks again OM and Tazza, not sure how I created the second thread for the same thing, I do not remember hitting the new thread button.
Yeah Tazza I poured some kero in the case and drove the machine back and forward a few times so it got everywhere (or atleast enough everywhere). I made a new gasket for the inspection cover and also used permetx to seal it correctly. Who ever had been in there before had used silastic to seal the cover and stripped two of the threads in the case housing! This was causing oil to leak out one side and down the side of the chain case. That is one more oil leak I have fixed! YIPPEE! Only about 10 more to go. My machine will never be out in the rain so should be all good now.
I started this thread becuase I have seen posts about changing this oil but no pics etc.
it is chain case dont turn it into rocket scienance pull covers inspect clean and button up. do not over complicate .if usining sealant lose the gaskets , stripped holes go to metric bolt it is one size up. 743 rear cover sucks if you dont need to go there dont, use an inspection mirror,