743 bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TheVille9

There isn't really a good way to change the hydraulic oil. You can get some of it out but there will probably still be some left in components regardless. You can take the hoses off the cooler and drain some from there. You can also take a hose off the hydraulic reservoir to drain the tank. That will drain some fluid. You could also remove the main relief out of the control valve and let it drain out of it. That should take the majority of it out of the system but obviously there will be some left in the lift and tilt cylinders. It will probably make a mess so be ready.

OP
OP
D

digr

There isn't really a good way to change the hydraulic oil. You can get some of it out but there will probably still be some left in components regardless. You can take the hoses off the cooler and drain some from there. You can also take a hose off the hydraulic reservoir to drain the tank. That will drain some fluid. You could also remove the main relief out of the control valve and let it drain out of it. That should take the majority of it out of the system but obviously there will be some left in the lift and tilt cylinders. It will probably make a mess so be ready.
Thanks for the reply! Where is the relief valve?

flyerdan

Thanks for the reply! Where is the relief valve?
One method that one of the guys here uses to drain the hydraulics is to make up a hose with a quick coupler on one end and pump most of it out using the aux. circuit. Run it slow and stop the machine as soon as it starts spitting rather than a stream. That gets the most of it into containers and mimimizes the mess potential.
There are at least a couple of good service books in the manual thread for the 743, grab one and familiarize yourself with the systems, makes working on them a lot more pleasant.

TheVille9

One method that one of the guys here uses to drain the hydraulics is to make up a hose with a quick coupler on one end and pump most of it out using the aux. circuit. Run it slow and stop the machine as soon as it starts spitting rather than a stream. That gets the most of it into containers and mimimizes the mess potential.
There are at least a couple of good service books in the manual thread for the 743, grab one and familiarize yourself with the systems, makes working on them a lot more pleasant.
flyferdan's method would be a lot easier.

OP
OP
D

digr

Opps forget i said anything!
The hydraulic oil is the color of coffee with cream added. The manual says to use 10W30 or 40, we already bought hydraulic oil. Is that OK to use? Also what to use in the chain case? haven't checked it yet but I assume it is the same color as the hydraulic oil.

TheVille9

The hydraulic oil is the color of coffee with cream added. The manual says to use 10W30 or 40, we already bought hydraulic oil. Is that OK to use? Also what to use in the chain case? haven't checked it yet but I assume it is the same color as the hydraulic oil.
Bobcat oil will be fine to use in the hydraulic system. Bobcat oil is also okay to use in the chaincase as well. The oil probably has broken down over the years and has some water mixed in with it as well.

TheVille9

Bobcat oil will be fine to use in the hydraulic system. Bobcat oil is also okay to use in the chaincase as well. The oil probably has broken down over the years and has some water mixed in with it as well.
I miss read your comment. I thought it said you had purchased bobcat hydraulic oil if so that is fine to use. You will have to be more specific when you say hydraulic oil. There are lots of different grades of hydraulic oil. I would stick to what the manual says or get bobcat hydraulic oil.

OP
OP
D

digr

I miss read your comment. I thought it said you had purchased bobcat hydraulic oil if so that is fine to use. You will have to be more specific when you say hydraulic oil. There are lots of different grades of hydraulic oil. I would stick to what the manual says or get bobcat hydraulic oil.
The oil came from Sam's club