742B sputters

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
F

Fitz

I just left it on without plugging the in or out. Whether this is a good idea or not I don't know. maybe the experts on this can help?

brdgbldr

The fuel shutoff solenoid goes in before the fuel reaches the mechanical fuel pump. I probably could have put in an electrical fuel pump that blocks the fuel when the ignition is off and gotten rid of the mechanical fuel pump but I had a fuel shutoff solenoid that I was going to use to do a duel fuel propane conversion handy. (Never got around to doing the conversion even though I have all the parts. I just got an offer for my 742B I couldn't refuse)

Ashabarrett

Hey Fitz,

My 742B 4G32 gasser manual says to use the same oil that you use in the engine for the governor. I think mine was 10W30. The 90wt gear lube may be way to thick especially in the winter. I would drain the 90wt in the governor and put what the manual calls for which I believe mine was 10w30. You surely don't want to have to replace the governor because the oil weight was too heavy and blew a seal. I had to replace my governor because I couldn't find the side shaft seal and the governor was $1200 ouch. But I kept the old governor and going to take my time to see if I can find a suitable seal replacement from a seal manufacturer. If I recall right when adding oil to the governor remove the back and top plugs and fill via the top plug until you have oil coming out the back plug. Then replace both plugs. I think I read a caution in the manual that said you don't want to overfill the governor because it will create too much pressure inside the governor and possibly blow out a seal.

When I ordered my Pertronix electronic ignition I sent Pertronix my distributor number from the side of the distributor shaft to ensure they matched up the new module to my distributor. Just a little wiring and eliminating the resistor and putting in the new coil and it fired right up. Been running perfectly for years.

Hope this helps.
Hey seems u are very well acquainted with the 742b so here goes..have a 1991/1992 (says sept 1991 in one spot an fb 1992 in another so not 100%) 742b.the guy before me did engine rebuild an parts an everything look nice an clean an shiny but there are some wire ends not hooked to anything an even some places that are where hose would connect to an clamp hold that are just the metal nipples without any hose/anything..so I'm wondering what motor exactly it is an if you know where may get a schematic/diagram breakdown so I can try an get all odds and ends button up cause machine runs rough..I seen ur post about ignition so figured I'd reach out any help is appreciated thanks

OP
OP
F

Fitz

Mine is a Mitsubishi 4G32 engine. It's a pretty common one so a google search should come up with what you're looking for. My rough running problem was fixed by replacing the entire ignition from plugs, wires, cap, rotor and condenser and coil. Not sure where the problem was but it smooth now

Tango-Charlie

Hey seems u are very well acquainted with the 742b so here goes..have a 1991/1992 (says sept 1991 in one spot an fb 1992 in another so not 100%) 742b.the guy before me did engine rebuild an parts an everything look nice an clean an shiny but there are some wire ends not hooked to anything an even some places that are where hose would connect to an clamp hold that are just the metal nipples without any hose/anything..so I'm wondering what motor exactly it is an if you know where may get a schematic/diagram breakdown so I can try an get all odds and ends button up cause machine runs rough..I seen ur post about ignition so figured I'd reach out any help is appreciated thanks

Tango-Charlie

falkenberg76

Hey Fitz,

My 742B 4G32 gasser manual says to use the same oil that you use in the engine for the governor. I think mine was 10W30. The 90wt gear lube may be way to thick especially in the winter. I would drain the 90wt in the governor and put what the manual calls for which I believe mine was 10w30. You surely don't want to have to replace the governor because the oil weight was too heavy and blew a seal. I had to replace my governor because I couldn't find the side shaft seal and the governor was $1200 ouch. But I kept the old governor and going to take my time to see if I can find a suitable seal replacement from a seal manufacturer. If I recall right when adding oil to the governor remove the back and top plugs and fill via the top plug until you have oil coming out the back plug. Then replace both plugs. I think I read a caution in the manual that said you don't want to overfill the governor because it will create too much pressure inside the governor and possibly blow out a seal.

When I ordered my Pertronix electronic ignition I sent Pertronix my distributor number from the side of the distributor shaft to ensure they matched up the new module to my distributor. Just a little wiring and eliminating the resistor and putting in the new coil and it fired right up. Been running perfectly for years.

Hope this helps.
By chance do you remember the part number for the pertronix you ordered? Im running into conflicting answers

falkenberg76

Here are the electronic ignition parts for the 742B.

Pertronix 1941 Mitsubishi 4 Cylinder Ignitor

PerTronix 40511 Flame-Thrower 40,000 Volt 3.0 ohm Coil

You can currently buy these on Amazon for about $115 together.
I have a brand new set that I can't use, and depending on how much shipping would be, I'd be willing you give you a deal on them If you're interested. Otherwise, Amazon has been the cheapest place that I've been able to find them. I'm trying to get rid of all the extra parts I have lying around for my 742B.
Have you sold these parts?
I would be interested pending price and shipping

Tango-Charlie

@falkenberg76 I contacted Pertronix directly to make sure I had the correct numbers. They had me find and check my Distributor Number which is along the shaft of the distributor. My distributor number was T3T05772 and they had me enter that on their website and it came back to a Mitsubishi 4 cylinder which is in my 742B. Then it listed the "Ignitor 12V Negative Ground 1943" and "Ignitor 2 91943".

I purchased the Ignitor II 91943. Along with that I purhased the Coil F-T II (0.6 ohm) 45111.

I did this a few years ago and it's been purring like a kitten ever since. You should be able to go to the Pertronix website at Http://www.pertronix.com and look under support and ignitor-kit for their information. I eliminated my confusion by looking up the distributor number.

Hope this helps.