742B Problem with forward movement one side

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Scappy

I have 742 B with 3500 hrs. Left side opperates fine. Right side weak to no foward power, jumpy in reverse but almost norm reverse. Dealer changed low pressure poppits and reversed high pressure poppits no difference. Said I need new pump $5000! Sound right? Anything else I can check first? Can I repair the pump?

sterlclan

you could switch the hoses from side to side/front to back on the pump the controls will be backwards but it will tell you if it is a pump or the drive motor if it is the pump they aren't all that tough I fixed mine with some sandpaper and oil.....there are some bronze/brass wear plates inside the pump excessive clearance in them will cause the same symptoms good luck ....Jeff parts are cheaper here than the dealer http://stores.ebay.com/skidloader-h..._W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9685124QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Tazza

Staff member
you could switch the hoses from side to side/front to back on the pump the controls will be backwards but it will tell you if it is a pump or the drive motor if it is the pump they aren't all that tough I fixed mine with some sandpaper and oil.....there are some bronze/brass wear plates inside the pump excessive clearance in them will cause the same symptoms good luck ....Jeff parts are cheaper here than the dealer http://stores.ebay.com/skidloader-hydraulic-parts-source_Bobcat-Parts_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9685124QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Was going to say, you can get a re-co pump for around 2,200 less a core charge of a few hundred.
Like sterlclan said, you can pull the pump down if it is the pump and possibly fix it your self with a bit of time and elbow grease.
Thats the guy, if its not listed in his store, e-mail him! he does have them.

sterlclan

Was going to say, you can get a re-co pump for around 2,200 less a core charge of a few hundred.
Like sterlclan said, you can pull the pump down if it is the pump and possibly fix it your self with a bit of time and elbow grease.
Thats the guy, if its not listed in his store, e-mail him! he does have them.
thanks for making the link live tazza low speed and firefox ya know .....Jeff

perry

$5000 pump WOW!, I bought a new pump, not drive motor, for $450 from the same guy.
I should have said, new pump for my 853C, sorry.
Tazza, the guy sells hi-flow pumps for 853's, can I use it on my 853C?, it didn't come with one. Any benefit or problem?.

Thanks

skidsteer.ca

I should have said, new pump for my 853C, sorry.
Tazza, the guy sells hi-flow pumps for 853's, can I use it on my 853C?, it didn't come with one. Any benefit or problem?.

Thanks
Perry
Hi flow is not something you want on all the time. It would waste fuel and create un necessarry heat when running attachments that can't use the extra flow. Like a grapple, it would repond way to fast.
Hi flow is for attachments like mowers, snow blowers , asphalt planers, augers.
IF they are designed for the extra flow, then you can put more of the engines HP to the attachment. If they are not a hi flow attachment you will "over speed" the attachment.
The pumps usually have 2 sections (or two separate pumps in the case of my LS 160) the flow of the two sections is combined with some sort of valve (usually electric) for the time that you need hi flow. On the NH I had to install 3/4" lines out from the aux valve to the new larger quick couplers, and a heat shield around the exhaust.
I have no idea if that pump would bolt right up, it may well, but you would have to do some extra plumbing. Then buy attachments that match the flow rate.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Perry
Hi flow is not something you want on all the time. It would waste fuel and create un necessarry heat when running attachments that can't use the extra flow. Like a grapple, it would repond way to fast.
Hi flow is for attachments like mowers, snow blowers , asphalt planers, augers.
IF they are designed for the extra flow, then you can put more of the engines HP to the attachment. If they are not a hi flow attachment you will "over speed" the attachment.
The pumps usually have 2 sections (or two separate pumps in the case of my LS 160) the flow of the two sections is combined with some sort of valve (usually electric) for the time that you need hi flow. On the NH I had to install 3/4" lines out from the aux valve to the new larger quick couplers, and a heat shield around the exhaust.
I have no idea if that pump would bolt right up, it may well, but you would have to do some extra plumbing. Then buy attachments that match the flow rate.
Ken
Perry - i would have to agree with Ken.
My biggest concern with Hi Flow would be the fact that the lines may be too small to handle the flow correctly. If it causes a restriction it will generate heat and drag power off your engine.

perry

My biggest concern with Hi Flow would be the fact that the lines may be too small to handle the flow correctly. If it causes a restriction it will generate heat and drag power off your engine.
Okey dokey......Thanks

skidsteer.ca

On my NH the aux hyd spool is the last one to get pressure from the main pump. The second pumps flow was added after the 2nd spool and b4 the 3rd aux spool. This way the lift and tilt functions only seen the flow from the primary pump regardless of weather hi flow is switched on or not.
From there the extra flow only had to flow through the return line to the tank or through the 3rd spool and new 3/4" aux hyd lines to the oversized couplers. And this was also only when the aux hyd flow switch was "on". HF bumps my flow from 15 up to 24 gpm
If the switch is off the extra flow went to the electric valve which just diverted it back to the reservoir. It could be "home made" without too much trouble on a NH like mine. NH had warnings about watching the oil temp in the literature, and has a digital guage as standard equipment to help monitor things.
Ken