742B hydraulic fluid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Russell

I plan to change the fluid in my machine, since I don't know if it has ever been done. My service manual says to use Melroe hyd/ hyd transmission fluid no. 6563328, and if not available use 10-30 or 10-40 (SE or SF) motor oil. Is the Melroe fluid your regular universal tractor fluid that comes in gallon, 2-gallon, or 5-gallon cans, or something altogether different? The stuff I use in my Ford tractors has a long list of different manufacturers specifications it meets, but Melroe isn't listed. On a related note, I don't look forward to purchasing a transfer pump to suck the fluid from the reservoir. Can I just thread a Tee fitting into the outlet hose, and drain it? It sounds so simple I wonder why it wasn't designed that way.

farmboy55

Hey Russell I use AW 32 hyd fluid in mine and have no had no problems. I don't know about draining the fluid in your machine. But someone will drop you a note. dennis

Tazza

Staff member
Hey Russell I use AW 32 hyd fluid in mine and have no had no problems. I don't know about draining the fluid in your machine. But someone will drop you a note. dennis
I run 15W40, the same as i run in my engine. I have another machine i threw cheap 20W50 into, it also works great. Basically any engine grade oil will do the job.
Just never run standard hydraulic oil in the system, its just too thin.
As for draining the oil, this is not easily done i'm afraid. The easiest way i have found is to use the aux hydraulic quick couplers. Run the machine at idle and operate the aux hydraulics to drain as much oil as possible, just don't keep running the machine when it starts to groan. Re-fill and run the machine around a bit, operate the hydraulics and drain it again.
Repeat a few times and thats about as good as you can get it short or removing cylinders and lines to drain it all.
Good luck

sterlclan

I run 15W40, the same as i run in my engine. I have another machine i threw cheap 20W50 into, it also works great. Basically any engine grade oil will do the job.
Just never run standard hydraulic oil in the system, its just too thin.
As for draining the oil, this is not easily done i'm afraid. The easiest way i have found is to use the aux hydraulic quick couplers. Run the machine at idle and operate the aux hydraulics to drain as much oil as possible, just don't keep running the machine when it starts to groan. Re-fill and run the machine around a bit, operate the hydraulics and drain it again.
Repeat a few times and thats about as good as you can get it short or removing cylinders and lines to drain it all.
Good luck
on my old relic I pull the return line off the oil cooler and drain it there takes some time but gets most of it out Jeff