742 Spool Detent Balls/Springs

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dmc10140

I was working on re-sealing my lift spool, and it would appear I was not the first person in there. When i was unscrewing the back cover it was under spring pressure (which didn't seem right). As it turns on whoever worked on it in the past lost the inner washer that holds the centering spring and decided to just put it back together without it. So that part is on order. They also lost both detent springs and balls. I ordered a set (and a few spare balls) because i figured they would go flying. Is there a tip or trick to get these back together. It looks like one set of spring/balls is located inside of the spring washer. The other set is under the sleeve toward the backside of the spool. I assume the set on the back side are what actually engage the detent lock. Does anyone have a good way to compress the ball/spring for re-assembly. They are under a ton of pressure there. Thanks,

Tazza

Staff member
Good to see you have all the parts worked out to know what to expect. I actually use a cable tie, one ball site where the cable tie goes through the loop part, it gives a good crease to hold the ball there the other just pulls into place when tightened.
It worked for me, Pull it really tight to compress the spring and slide the cap over and cut the tie when the balls slip into the housing.