632 charging system

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobo

Hey guys,Just bought this 632 and still trying to work out the bugs in this thing.Ok this is the deal,repalced the alt and put in a new battery.The wiring on the back of the alt has seen better days.....rotten/cracked, broken wires.I'm looking at this thing and see a wiring harness thats for the alt...you know the plug and main charging wire,but then i look more closely and see in the harness that it looks to be an original heavy white wire thats broken off in the harness.The previous owner ran a separate main charge wire off the back of the alt and it goes to the pos. term on the starter??? Whats odd is that it charges 14.2 but when you disconect the battery while its running the motor stalls.It won't run on its own.Is it possible that the broken heavy white wire is the original main charge wire for this machine that would make able to run on its own when the batt is disconected.I'm thinking that new red wire that was put in dose nothing and is bypassing the ignition system so it will not run on its own. Any ideas BoBo Thanks

OldMachinist

Alot of the new charging systems with internal voltage regulators require the battery to remain hooked up for the alternator to excite the field to charge and the engine will die if the battery is disconnected. On automobiles with computers disconnecting the battery while running can cause damage. If its charging properly with the battery hooked up its more than likely allright.

Tazza

Staff member
Alot of the new charging systems with internal voltage regulators require the battery to remain hooked up for the alternator to excite the field to charge and the engine will die if the battery is disconnected. On automobiles with computers disconnecting the battery while running can cause damage. If its charging properly with the battery hooked up its more than likely allright.
Running the charge wire to the starter is totally normal. It keeps the wiring direct to the battery to a minimum. I do agree that your system seems to be running correctly, you do need the battery connected to excite the rotor. The only time its not needed is on the 1 wire self exciting alternators.

OP
OP
B

bobo

Running the charge wire to the starter is totally normal. It keeps the wiring direct to the battery to a minimum. I do agree that your system seems to be running correctly, you do need the battery connected to excite the rotor. The only time its not needed is on the 1 wire self exciting alternators.
Thanks guys....I guess that I'm old school...I learned something today.On another note,here in Winterpeg,Manitoba our weather can get pretty cold.My machine is parked in the garage but it takes along time to fire this thing up when its cold.....is this normal?New plugs,points and yet it will take me 10 min to get running.Should I be plugging it in for a few hours?It takes so long to start when cold that I'm afraid that it will cost me a starter,she fires one cyl at a time until all 4 take off, but when she's warm....just purrrrrs.I'm not a big fan of points....is there an electronic ignition system upgrade.Thanks, you guys have been great. BoBo.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks guys....I guess that I'm old school...I learned something today.On another note,here in Winterpeg,Manitoba our weather can get pretty cold.My machine is parked in the garage but it takes along time to fire this thing up when its cold.....is this normal?New plugs,points and yet it will take me 10 min to get running.Should I be plugging it in for a few hours?It takes so long to start when cold that I'm afraid that it will cost me a starter,she fires one cyl at a time until all 4 take off, but when she's warm....just purrrrrs.I'm not a big fan of points....is there an electronic ignition system upgrade.Thanks, you guys have been great. BoBo.
It should fire up better than that, but the cold weather does make things hard. Quite a few people use block heaters to help their engines start, but they are diesels. It will take a fair bit of strain off the engine if you hook up a block heater to help thin the oil so nothing is starved at startup either. It sounds like it could be a choke problem as you say its only a problem when starting and it runs well when its going. You did say it has new plugs so i can't suggest thats a problem.

jerry

It should fire up better than that, but the cold weather does make things hard. Quite a few people use block heaters to help their engines start, but they are diesels. It will take a fair bit of strain off the engine if you hook up a block heater to help thin the oil so nothing is starved at startup either. It sounds like it could be a choke problem as you say its only a problem when starting and it runs well when its going. You did say it has new plugs so i can't suggest thats a problem.
HI, my 632 was the same when I got it, it took forever to get it to run even after going thru the all the ignition. Finally I took off the air inlet hose and checked the choke and that was the trouble make sure your choke is closing completely. It starts pretty good now even without being plugged in but I do have synthetic oil in it. If it has set for a while since last use and doesnt fire after spinning a half dozen times a little squirt of starting fluid in the air filter or down in the loader arms where the air intake is will help but do not overdo it. a engine heater does help also when it is really cold.

Latest posts