50 hp kubota diesel acts like it's flooded. Happened instantly

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

UPMIbuilder

Yesterday was out in the woods with my '96 Scat Track 1300c with 50 horse Kubota non-turbo diesel, 985 hours when it all of a sudden lost power, started smoking and then died. Tried to restart and it acted as if it was flooded. Would sputter and fire and barely run then die again, the whole time smoking a grayish smoke, smelled like lots of unburnt fuel. It would be my initial guess that it's getting too much fuel. Bad injector? Got it in my shop last night and it fired but ran like crap and filled my shop with heavy diesel smoke then died again. Right now I'm not even sure where or how to start diagnosing this. The only diesel experience I have is working on my Powerstroke. Lots of gas engine experience and I have a well equipped shop so I'm hoping I can track this down. I really need this machine running right now. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

frogfarmer

My first check would be the air cleaner. If it has come apart or has been contaminated with liquid it will cause your problems. Just the intake to the air cleaner could be clogged causing the problem. I would doubt an injector problem. Possibly a pump problem but not likely.

OP
OP
U

UPMIbuilder

My first check would be the air cleaner. If it has come apart or has been contaminated with liquid it will cause your problems. Just the intake to the air cleaner could be clogged causing the problem. I would doubt an injector problem. Possibly a pump problem but not likely.
Got it fixed! I did check the air filter which was good as expected. Checked both fuel filters and the larger rectangular one was pretty much plugged with milky fuel(water). Blew it out for now, will get a new filters tomorrow, put it back together, added a good dose of Power Service, bled it out and she fired up. Reluctantly at first but within 30 seconds she was back to purring like a kitten........I could've fixed this thing in the woods, if you only knew what I went through it get it on the trailer and out.