453 hydraulic problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tambo303

I have a 453 that I just picked up about a month ago. I live in Colorado and it came from Florida so it was in a very wet humid area. The machine is in pretty good shape structurally and all the fluids in the back of the machine and filters looked like they had been changed recently but the chain case was completely full with water and a little bit of fluid and the main hydraulic filter was old so I had to drain and refill that and replace the main filter. When I Picked it up the hydraulics were acting slow but they were still working OK and then it has mostly sat around for the last month but has been started at least once a week and I've been changing fluids and replacing hoses. ( parts and fluid we're from bobcat ) I started it up yesterday to try and plow some snow with it and I let it warm up for a couple minutes and then tried to move and none of the hydraulics/hydrostatic system were working. The more you messed around with everything and tried to move the better it started working and after a couple minutes the drive system seemed to be working okay but I still had almost to no movement from the lift arms or the bucket tilt cylinder . Once you let it sit for a couple minutes you have to start all over again to get it to move. I don't know if the hydraulic pump is just worn out but I would think that it would be odd for it to not work and then slowly start working well enough for the drive system but supply no power to the lift and tilt cylinders. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
First thing to check is the right control lever, does it move from side to side? this controls aux hydraulics and if stuck on, it will make all functions run badly if at all. Some machines have a bolt in place to lock them out, but if yours isn't, pull it all the way to the left and let it spring to the centre.
I have a 543 that has a bad hydraulic pump, so it's not uncommon for the pumps to wear out, i'll replace it one day....

OP
OP
T

Tambo303

First thing to check is the right control lever, does it move from side to side? this controls aux hydraulics and if stuck on, it will make all functions run badly if at all. Some machines have a bolt in place to lock them out, but if yours isn't, pull it all the way to the left and let it spring to the centre.
I have a 543 that has a bad hydraulic pump, so it's not uncommon for the pumps to wear out, i'll replace it one day....
I checked the aux and it's unfortunately not the problem. It seemed to work a little better in the warmer weather today.

Hotrod1830

I checked the aux and it's unfortunately not the problem. It seemed to work a little better in the warmer weather today.
Usually with a worn pump(s), it will work better cold and begin to fade away as the fluid heats up. Reason being the fluid is thicker when it is cold and a pump with loose clearances can build pressure easier with a thick fluid. same applies to a clogged filter, warm thinner fluid will pass thru it easier. make sure the hydro filter is correct. If the filter is known to be correct and clean, you may want to check the BCIS system/block. get on bobcat.com and look at the parts catalog for your machine and start digging. Could be a solenoid not releasing fully.

Edelbo

Hi Tambo, did you find out what the trouble was? I have one that acts similarly to what you are describing. Thanks:)