443 wont crank over... =(

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

443life

here i am again... lol after fixing all the hydraulics everything was going smoothly until i broke a pin off my harness that goes from rops to engine. i re-wired everything to a generic harness and im 100% sure its all been wired up right however i cant seem to get it to continuously crank over. i originally shut off the fuel switch to change the filter and ran the bobcat out of fuel. while doing so i changed the glow plugs as maintenance, after everything was replaced i tried to turn it over and some times itll crank but mostly it doesnt. can any one shed some light on what this could possibly be or have had any similar problems? maybe a bad solenoid or relay? any help would be appreciated thanks !

OP
OP
443life

443life

on a side note i havent been able to start it as well, i have to use the quick start spray, that was until i changed the glow plugs ive yet to tell if thats been eliminated. so basically i have 2 problems icant determine the other until i figure out why it wont crank over.

Tazza

Staff member
on a side note i havent been able to start it as well, i have to use the quick start spray, that was until i changed the glow plugs ive yet to tell if thats been eliminated. so basically i have 2 problems icant determine the other until i figure out why it wont crank over.
So it is cranking but not firing?
If so, it could be the fuel shut off solenoid. If it's off, no fuel gets to the injectors. That is the first place i'd start looking. After that, i'd check the fuel line to ensure fuel is getting there. The fuel lines do rot off in the tank.

OP
OP
443life

443life

So it is cranking but not firing?
If so, it could be the fuel shut off solenoid. If it's off, no fuel gets to the injectors. That is the first place i'd start looking. After that, i'd check the fuel line to ensure fuel is getting there. The fuel lines do rot off in the tank.
hi tazza thanks for the reply i thought that at first, however i have the old melroe 443 which uses the d750 im unsure if there is a fuel shut off solenoid? its a pretty straightforward machine which is why i love it pretty easy to work on i know theres the warm up and starter solenoids mounted on the engine by the door however unsure where the fuel shut off one is? my manual doesnt seem to say anything about one well at first it wouldnt even crank over but i realized it was actually the battery i thought something was faulty along the electrical since it would crank one day and the other it wouldnt n then 5 mins later it'd crank which made me think it wasnt the battery but its been cranking since, just not firing up.. i checked the fuel lines i pulled it off at the bleed valve and it squirtsout when i press on the primer.... so stumped... !

OP
OP
443life

443life

hi tazza thanks for the reply i thought that at first, however i have the old melroe 443 which uses the d750 im unsure if there is a fuel shut off solenoid? its a pretty straightforward machine which is why i love it pretty easy to work on i know theres the warm up and starter solenoids mounted on the engine by the door however unsure where the fuel shut off one is? my manual doesnt seem to say anything about one well at first it wouldnt even crank over but i realized it was actually the battery i thought something was faulty along the electrical since it would crank one day and the other it wouldnt n then 5 mins later it'd crank which made me think it wasnt the battery but its been cranking since, just not firing up.. i checked the fuel lines i pulled it off at the bleed valve and it squirtsout when i press on the primer.... so stumped... !
then again i guess if u think about it the valve is right before the injector body and it does ignite briefly when i spray ether in it, meaning its not getting fuel. btw is there a way to make it so i dont have to spray ether in it? its so annoying when i back it onto my 1 ton bed and have no room to open it n spray to start it up i have to spray it from the side and pray it goes up the intake lol.

OP
OP
443life

443life

then again i guess if u think about it the valve is right before the injector body and it does ignite briefly when i spray ether in it, meaning its not getting fuel. btw is there a way to make it so i dont have to spray ether in it? its so annoying when i back it onto my 1 ton bed and have no room to open it n spray to start it up i have to spray it from the side and pray it goes up the intake lol.
also ... if i m leaving the ignition in on position to pre warm the plugs which is what its supposed to do? (no rocker switch) when i touch a test light to the solenoid output that leads to the plugs it's live. its about 10 degrees celsius here in vancouver so i dont think its too cold.. no matter what i have to use the spray to start it up til its warm. sorry for all the questions and thanks !

OP
OP
443life

443life

also ... if i m leaving the ignition in on position to pre warm the plugs which is what its supposed to do? (no rocker switch) when i touch a test light to the solenoid output that leads to the plugs it's live. its about 10 degrees celsius here in vancouver so i dont think its too cold.. no matter what i have to use the spray to start it up til its warm. sorry for all the questions and thanks !
so i checked by my fuel tank which is where the solenoid should be mounted, as suspected i dont have one. also i am not 100% sure if my glow plugs are even working. if my exhaust smoke is black does that mean its expelling unburnt fuel? smells like it... could my relay be broken ? the wire leading to the glow plugs tests live but does it have to draw a certain amount of power to heat the plugs properly?

Tazza

Staff member
so i checked by my fuel tank which is where the solenoid should be mounted, as suspected i dont have one. also i am not 100% sure if my glow plugs are even working. if my exhaust smoke is black does that mean its expelling unburnt fuel? smells like it... could my relay be broken ? the wire leading to the glow plugs tests live but does it have to draw a certain amount of power to heat the plugs properly?
Look at the injector pump, there will be 3 lines coming from it to the injectors. There will be an arm near here that had a round solenoid with a rod coming out of it. This is the fuel shut off solenoid.
I believe that model machine has a timer, when it goes bad, the solenoid will not turn on to allow fuel to move.
Have a look for this solenoid and you can tie it in the run position to get it going, if it works, you know ehat the issue is, then trace why it's not working.

OP
OP
443life

443life

Look at the injector pump, there will be 3 lines coming from it to the injectors. There will be an arm near here that had a round solenoid with a rod coming out of it. This is the fuel shut off solenoid.
I believe that model machine has a timer, when it goes bad, the solenoid will not turn on to allow fuel to move.
Have a look for this solenoid and you can tie it in the run position to get it going, if it works, you know ehat the issue is, then trace why it's not working.
alright thanks i will have a look tmr im skeptical though in the manual it says its mounted next to the fuel primer or fuel shut off switch.. in btwn both actually.. but i see nothing there but lines. if its exhausting black smoke does that mean its getting fuel?

SkidRoe

I am pretty sure that the 443 does not use a solenoid to shut the fuel off, it uses a pull cable, just like old school diesel farm tractors. If the knob on the cable is pulled out, the fuel is shut off. It will need to be pushed in to run.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
443life

443life

I am pretty sure that the 443 does not use a solenoid to shut the fuel off, it uses a pull cable, just like old school diesel farm tractors. If the knob on the cable is pulled out, the fuel is shut off. It will need to be pushed in to run.
HTH - SR
yeah i know all about the fuel shut off switch, its in run position no problems with it. there is no solenoid mounted anywhere by the injector pump... confusing as heck !

OP
OP
443life

443life

yeah i know all about the fuel shut off switch, its in run position no problems with it. there is no solenoid mounted anywhere by the injector pump... confusing as heck !
ive had the skid for year now it was running fine up til i ran the fuel out, and at the same time the harness broke so i cant determine which one it is, unless it was just pure fluke that something else happened to fail as well...

bobkat843

why not try and crack open # one injector and see if fuel come out ! if not bleed the injector pump first and then bleed injectors

OP
OP
443life

443life

why not try and crack open # one injector and see if fuel come out ! if not bleed the injector pump first and then bleed injectors
so today i decided to double check the glow plugs again and i started with the first one took it out n hooked it up to batt.. turned a nice cherry red and there was diesel on the plug once i took it out.. however when i put the plug back in seeing how u have a good view of #1 plug i noticed it wasnt goign all the way in even tho it would tighten up, a thread or so was sstill visible on the plug and the seat right above it ... so my guess is there wasnt enough compression to fire it up due to leaking ... i m confused though isnt it y103k for the d750? correct me if im wrong?

OP
OP
443life

443life

so today i decided to double check the glow plugs again and i started with the first one took it out n hooked it up to batt.. turned a nice cherry red and there was diesel on the plug once i took it out.. however when i put the plug back in seeing how u have a good view of #1 plug i noticed it wasnt goign all the way in even tho it would tighten up, a thread or so was sstill visible on the plug and the seat right above it ... so my guess is there wasnt enough compression to fire it up due to leaking ... i m confused though isnt it y103k for the d750? correct me if im wrong?
NGK y103k *