442 help with a few issues i just got this thing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

goosehunta

I just picked up a few weeks ago this 442 which has been sitting for a year or two. they couldn't get it to start and run. then turned into later couldn't get it to crank over. they replaced starter and it still would crank. 1 owner with 1900 hours. and she has all original papers and manuals. so I talked to the lady selling it (it was her husbands before he passed) she was at the point of just wanting it gone. so I through out an offer and she quickly accepted so I went and picked it up. of corse I had to winch it up on the trailer. come to find out the wire harness had been chewed up by some pesky squirls in a few places. so I spliced all that back together and hey i had power at the key. checked the glow plug circuit and the starter circuit and turned it over. so warmed the plugs for 30 seconds and crank and crank and crank pop crank pop crank pooff pooff crank. it finely started up and ran. found a bad hydrolic line.(the metal bent one from cooler to front filter) which they don't make anylonger. a sticky bucket valve, bad alternator, a couple leaking fittings at the fuel injector connection. heres what i need help with. Fuel leak. i have been looking for the lines from the injector pump to the injectors but i cant find them online anywhere. engine is the Kubota V1902B i think. anyone know where i can find these. Alternator, i found website "golden Eagle Equipment" i cant find it there. it looks like a GM truck alternator, could i just put a GM V-belt alternator on? Sticking Valve, when you tilt bucket forward it works well. but when you tilt bucket back and you let off the foot pedal the bucket keeps going back until you press foot control to tilt bucket forward. What can i do about this? overall, what do you think about my deal on this machine. what would you have paid for it only knowing it wont crank?

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know wha the value of the machine would bem but if you were happy, you didn't pay too much.
As for the fuel leak, can you get any pictures? The fuel system is very simple on these machines.

OP
OP
G

goosehunta

I don't know wha the value of the machine would bem but if you were happy, you didn't pay too much.
As for the fuel leak, can you get any pictures? The fuel system is very simple on these machines.
I will try and get a couple pictures in the next couple days. the machine is still at my inlaws. I just moved into a new house and have not brought it over yet. fuel is leaking at the top of the injector where the steel line connects. thanks for your response Tazza!

Tazza

Staff member
I will try and get a couple pictures in the next couple days. the machine is still at my inlaws. I just moved into a new house and have not brought it over yet. fuel is leaking at the top of the injector where the steel line connects. thanks for your response Tazza!
I assume you have tried tightening the fitting a little more? Some times if the line is not square, it will leak, it may need bending a little to sit right. If you take the nut iff the line, you will see if the line needs bending or not. It should sit in the seat of the fitting without the need of twisting it to get the nut to screw on.
Does any of that make sense?

farmshop

I assume you have tried tightening the fitting a little more? Some times if the line is not square, it will leak, it may need bending a little to sit right. If you take the nut iff the line, you will see if the line needs bending or not. It should sit in the seat of the fitting without the need of twisting it to get the nut to screw on.
Does any of that make sense?
I would guess your bucket calve is rust from sitting. I would unhook any linkage to see if the pedal frees up or its the spool. If you can romove the spool a little polishing and some seals should fix it. Do you have power to the alternator being you had critters i would check for power to the big stud and to the plug when running

OP
OP
G

goosehunta

I would guess your bucket calve is rust from sitting. I would unhook any linkage to see if the pedal frees up or its the spool. If you can romove the spool a little polishing and some seals should fix it. Do you have power to the alternator being you had critters i would check for power to the big stud and to the plug when running
I have attempted to tighten the fuel injector line fittings with an open end wrench but didn't want to put too much on it without a line wrench which I need to get a set of. I will loosen all the way and re seat it and see if that helps. the alternator was locked up once I started the engine for the first time. I shut it down the got it freed up but its not charging the battery. I will check voltage at the connections on the alternator. the bucket control pedal returns to a "neutral state" when you let off of it. but the bucket continues to tilt back. I will check the linkages and disconnect them and try the pedal again to see if the bucket still continues to move after letting off the pedal with the linkage disconnected. one other thing I forgot about before is how do you adjust the parking brake on these machines. it will not hold the machine in place at all. I was going to post a couple pictures but I don't see where to add them. is there a minimum post quota or something before you can post pictures? thanks for your help guys.

farmshop

I have attempted to tighten the fuel injector line fittings with an open end wrench but didn't want to put too much on it without a line wrench which I need to get a set of. I will loosen all the way and re seat it and see if that helps. the alternator was locked up once I started the engine for the first time. I shut it down the got it freed up but its not charging the battery. I will check voltage at the connections on the alternator. the bucket control pedal returns to a "neutral state" when you let off of it. but the bucket continues to tilt back. I will check the linkages and disconnect them and try the pedal again to see if the bucket still continues to move after letting off the pedal with the linkage disconnected. one other thing I forgot about before is how do you adjust the parking brake on these machines. it will not hold the machine in place at all. I was going to post a couple pictures but I don't see where to add them. is there a minimum post quota or something before you can post pictures? thanks for your help guys.
if the pedal is returning to neutral and the hydraulics are creeping it is probaby a bad seal letting oil by