440B new guy

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Thumper

Hello all I just recently bought a old Farmboy ( 440B) with a blown Kohler 18hp Magnum and replaced that engine with a newer 25hp Kohler Command OHV. I ran her for the first time yesterday, bucket and boom work fine but man can she buck when trying to roll ( I almost registered here as "Whiplash"), from what I've read that problem might be from low rpm's being I don't have the throttle hooked up yet so I had engine speed set low. From what I can tell from all the varnish that I got out of the gas tank is that this girl has set for several years without use so my next thing to do is change out hyd fluids and filter., I do have manual coming this week but as far as type of fluid I'm thinking AW32?? Does anyone know the aftermarket part # for the ( spin on) hyd filter?? Thanks in advance for any help/input

skidsteer.ca

If you have a filter # you can go to www.baldwinfilters.com and cross it to theirs, wix, fram, purolator, donaldson, etc all have filter crosses online I believe.
Generally hydrostats don't work well at low rpm, but this is usually more noise (groaning) and low performance. I'd put it up on blocks and run the wheels just to see if there is something mechaincal binding up. And of course get your throttle working. Welcome to the forum.
Ken

OP
OP
T

Thumper

If you have a filter # you can go to www.baldwinfilters.com and cross it to theirs, wix, fram, purolator, donaldson, etc all have filter crosses online I believe.
Generally hydrostats don't work well at low rpm, but this is usually more noise (groaning) and low performance. I'd put it up on blocks and run the wheels just to see if there is something mechaincal binding up. And of course get your throttle working. Welcome to the forum.
Ken
Thanks for the welcome Ken., No filter # as all the paint has peeled off the current filter so I'll see if I can cross the the manual part # . Once shes rolling shes fine but slow rolling and turns is when it'll start bucking ( I did a wheely pulling into the barn!). Hey while I'm (impatiently) waiting for the manual any idea what that pedal is that sits on the hump between the bucket/boom pedals??

OP
OP
T

Thumper

Thanks for the welcome Ken., No filter # as all the paint has peeled off the current filter so I'll see if I can cross the the manual part # . Once shes rolling shes fine but slow rolling and turns is when it'll start bucking ( I did a wheely pulling into the barn!). Hey while I'm (impatiently) waiting for the manual any idea what that pedal is that sits on the hump between the bucket/boom pedals??
OK Never mind its the park brake ( I just got the manual!)., There was no filter # in the manual so I took the filter off there was two places where the paint was still on the housing, I could make out " lark" (Clark) and 6599543 what frigging luck, I crossed it to a wix # so I'm in business. Manual calls for 10w-30 motor oil ( SE Rating) for the hyd's

Mac

OK Never mind its the park brake ( I just got the manual!)., There was no filter # in the manual so I took the filter off there was two places where the paint was still on the housing, I could make out " lark" (Clark) and 6599543 what frigging luck, I crossed it to a wix # so I'm in business. Manual calls for 10w-30 motor oil ( SE Rating) for the hyd's
I have a 443 which is the diesel cousin to your 440b. The bouncing when you turn could be because your arms are not on the safety bar to steady them. If you try to operate the machine without resting your arms on the safety bar any sudden movements can cause your arms to move further resulting in bouncing. As for your wheelie- these machines are very light in the front when they are not loaded. Backing up any steep grades or trailer ramps is imperative when empty or you will be looking at the sky and hoping a friend is near to weight the front and get it back to the ground. Take a look at my post about wheel bearings. I had a significant problem with them. Keep watch over yours so they don't get bad enough to score the axles. I have the service manual and parts book for these machines. Got them on e-bay and they are very handy when problems arise.

OP
OP
T

Thumper

I have a 443 which is the diesel cousin to your 440b. The bouncing when you turn could be because your arms are not on the safety bar to steady them. If you try to operate the machine without resting your arms on the safety bar any sudden movements can cause your arms to move further resulting in bouncing. As for your wheelie- these machines are very light in the front when they are not loaded. Backing up any steep grades or trailer ramps is imperative when empty or you will be looking at the sky and hoping a friend is near to weight the front and get it back to the ground. Take a look at my post about wheel bearings. I had a significant problem with them. Keep watch over yours so they don't get bad enough to score the axles. I have the service manual and parts book for these machines. Got them on e-bay and they are very handy when problems arise.
Mac your a genius...jeanies....your a pretty smart guy! It wasn't the dumb arse machine it was the dumb arse driver, I put the bar down and "Voila" it ran fine. I got everything hooked back up and changed out the filters and most of the fluids went out and played with her some and it looks like I got a keeper. I still need to get in and change the fluid in the chain box and will have to fix/replace park brake. Thanks for the input