4-1 Bucket Malfunction

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

B2Blain

I have a Bobcat S220 with a 4-1 bucket. It almost always operates correctly. One in a while the bucket will start opening and closing without any input. I can only stop it by turning off the machine. When I restart it, the bucket operates correctly. Could this be an electrical issue with the controls or the hydraulic pump?

flyerdan

Not being familiar with that machine, I'm just guessing here, but since there are no other problems showing up, that would preclude a pump issue.
I'm betting that the 4 way plugs into the aux hydraulic circuit, check any electrical connections related to that. Most times they will look fine, but have a bit of internal corrosion that changes the signal that the controller is looking for. Sometimes just unplugging and reconnecting them will clean them enough, I'd give them a shot of contact cleaner for good measure.
That's an easy and cheap first step; if it still does the same thing afterward, it could be the aux solenoid controller, Tazza has worked on them and will have some good tips for dealing with them.

Bswwood

Not being familiar with that machine, I'm just guessing here, but since there are no other problems showing up, that would preclude a pump issue.
I'm betting that the 4 way plugs into the aux hydraulic circuit, check any electrical connections related to that. Most times they will look fine, but have a bit of internal corrosion that changes the signal that the controller is looking for. Sometimes just unplugging and reconnecting them will clean them enough, I'd give them a shot of contact cleaner for good measure.
That's an easy and cheap first step; if it still does the same thing afterward, it could be the aux solenoid controller, Tazza has worked on them and will have some good tips for dealing with them.
This is a common issue when the toggle in the right joystick is going bad, drifting from neutral, usually starts as an intermittent issue and gets worse with time.