331 overheating help needed

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RussB

I have a 2004 331 ( D series ) with 2500 hrs on it. It keep running warm on me, because I know the job I'm on it's getting leaves and alot of dirt between the radiators and in the radiator core. I usually take my garden hose and rinse it out a few times a year and that has worked good, until now. I've tried and tried again to reverse flush the radiator but it's not working. Dirt and junk has gotten packed into the fins. How is the best way to remove the engine radiator on these things? Or is it possible to just remove the shroud to get a better angle on reverse flushing the cores? I figure if I got to remove the radiator, I will just have it boiled out instead of washing it out... Up until now this machine has never caused me any problems, so any input from you folks would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks, RussB

Tazza

Staff member
Can you get at it with a pressure washer? just be careful not to direct the water at an angle or you risk flattening the fins. I have done this a few times before now.

Fishfiles

Can you get at it with a pressure washer? just be careful not to direct the water at an angle or you risk flattening the fins. I have done this a few times before now.
I would pull the hydraulic oil cooler out the way then pressure wash the radiator in place , unless I looked down the throat of the radiator and sell alot of white looking build up around the tubes then I would probally pull the radiator and have it boiled out but then again you could try some radiator flush

lt190b

is your radiator & overflow container at proper level. i have a 337d that kept loosing coolant thru a rubber cap below the oil filter. the temp will get hi when i travel the machine alot when the air temp is high. also when the ac is on.lt190b

biggie

If the enginge isn't showing signs of head gasket probs. And you,re loosing coolant. It could be as simple as the rad cap not holding pressure. Just a thought.

biggie

Another thought. It could also be the thermostat isn't opening at the right time, and the belt drive fan, can't keep up?

OP
OP
R

RussB

Another thought. It could also be the thermostat isn't opening at the right time, and the belt drive fan, can't keep up?
I ended up pulling the radiator out of it and laying it horizontal and washing the fins with simple green and a garden hose. Washing it out while it was in the machine worked somewhat but it needed a real good flushing, it's amazing how much junk can get trapped in the fins. Everything is fine with it now... RussB

Fishfiles

I ended up pulling the radiator out of it and laying it horizontal and washing the fins with simple green and a garden hose. Washing it out while it was in the machine worked somewhat but it needed a real good flushing, it's amazing how much junk can get trapped in the fins. Everything is fine with it now... RussB
A lot of trash gets caught up in the radiator and it is pretty hard to not bend up the fins with the radiator in place using a pressure washer , now that you have it clean I would suggest that every so often you blow the radiator out with compressed air before it gets clogged up again , seems if you stay with it that it is not too bad blowing out small amounts before it gets to be too much , I got a modified blow gun that I have a long tube on with a very tight 45 degree bend in and it will fit in there with every thing in place , there is boocou demo work down here and the dust clogs then up really fast and it has been very hot , blowing them out regularly has been a great help

RebeccaTurner

A lot of trash gets caught up in the radiator and it is pretty hard to not bend up the fins with the radiator in place using a pressure washer , now that you have it clean I would suggest that every so often you blow the radiator out with compressed air before it gets clogged up again , seems if you stay with it that it is not too bad blowing out small amounts before it gets to be too much , I got a modified blow gun that I have a long tube on with a very tight 45 degree bend in and it will fit in there with every thing in place , there is boocou demo work down here and the dust clogs then up really fast and it has been very hot , blowing them out regularly has been a great help
*Spam Spam*
Deleted