323D Boom Tapered Pin Removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

427cjackson

I'm trying to remove the tapered pin from the loader arm (number 41 in this image). I was able to remove the bolt and nut (42 and 37) and tried to heat the arm and drive the pin from the outside in. The pin boss (number 2) is what is welded onto the loader arm and is stopping me from easily accessing the tapered pin since there is a flange which the bolt/washer is used to hold it in place. I attached a picture of the tapered pin (second image) that fits into the boss (third image) and the flange that the bolt/washer is seated against. Has anyone been able to remove this and were special tools required?

1648045477349.png

1648045818285.png

1648046087002.png

mekabajo

It should just knock out. Nothing should prevent the taper pin from coming out once you remove the bolt and nut. The pins are changed frequently because they wear out. If yours is not coming out easily, there maybe something stuck or blocking it from coming out. I suggest you just try hammering it out from the outside in once you are sure the inside hole is not being block by something. You can use the bolt with washers or something that contacts the outside surface of the pin to knock it out.

OP
OP

427cjackson

Update on the solution...I called a mobile welding/repair shop and they came out. He used a cutoff wheel to cut the pin and tried heating to remove the tapered pin - it wouldn't give. He opted to torch it out instead of using a porta-power. I had him cut the bushings out of the quick attach plate as well as the two in the bucket cylinder eyes. Replaced the four bushings and helped me reinstall. Done in three hours.

Chuck Thomas

It should just knock out. Nothing should prevent the taper pin from coming out once you remove the bolt and nut. The pins are changed frequently because they wear out. If yours is not coming out easily, there maybe something stuck or blocking it from coming out. I suggest you just try hammering it out from the outside in once you are sure the inside hole is not being block by something. You can use the bolt with washers or something that contacts the outside surface of the pin to knock it out.
My tapered pin won't come out easily either. It's holding the plate up still too. I tried a sledge hammer to bang on it. Any other suggestions?

cdmccul

I don't know where your talking about, but can you hit the part the pin is lodged in at 90 degrees to the pin? Jarring the pin now sideways is often the best way to remove things like tapered tie rod ball ends, etc, in cars and trucks.

AJ-17

I have used a air chisel with a home made bit. Had a broken air chisel bit that I had saved from 20 years ago, not really knowing what it might be used for in the future. Just cut the broken tool end off with a die grinder, flat. Works great for removing all the pins in the 3 backhoe attachments that I am rebuilding. Works so much better than a 10 pound sledgehammer and a brass bar. Found this out the hard way. It also does not smash up the ends of the pins like the sledgehammer would do.

mekabajo

My tapered pin won't come out easily either. It's holding the plate up still too. I tried a sledge hammer to bang on it. Any other suggestions?
Try supporting the Quick coupler plate with a floor jack or engine hoist to take some of the weight off the pins when you try to knock out the pins.

Last edited:

Latest posts