3 belt pulley on case 1816

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dubadub

I need to replace the engine and it appears that someone has done that before. I think the engine originally was a Tecumseh 16 hp - There is a 3 belt pulley (looks like it might be with a centrifical clutch) on a 1" shaft but looks like someone put it on a sleeve. Anyway I am having a heck of a time trying to remove the pulley. I have used a pretty substantial amount of torque with a special gear puller with no luck. There is a key in the shaft and a front bearing (probably part of the centrifical clutch????) - I could email pics if I could figure out how to attach here in this forum. Anybody know if this pulley has a trick to get it off the old engine shaft?

OP
OP
D

dubadub

I might add that there appear to be what should be either set screw holes on the inside (engine) side of the pulley that must hold the bearing to the pulley. Allen wrenches do not fit. I think they may be rivets but can't really tell. Any thoughts?

Tazza

Staff member
I might add that there appear to be what should be either set screw holes on the inside (engine) side of the pulley that must hold the bearing to the pulley. Allen wrenches do not fit. I think they may be rivets but can't really tell. Any thoughts?
Could the head be burred off? so an allan key will not fit?
If so, some times ihave found belting a torx bit into the hole can get enough grip to remove it, but not always!
Could the shaft be a taper? i know on my sunstrand pump it uses a keyed shaft that has a taper. I used a 15 tonne hydraulic gear puller and it didn't want to move, i used a drift and hammer to strike the shaft and it cracked free. Did you try holding pressure on the pulley and striking the shaft with a drift? or even heating the pulley to try and get it to come free?
Just a thought.