257B3 Lift arms floating?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JamieD76

Hello all, I have a 2012 257B3 with 2200hrs. I have recently noticed a lot of play in the lift arm cylinders when back dragging or trying to cut grade. While back dragging or cutting the lift arm cylinders move up and down roughly an inch in both directions, kind of like float mode but not as pronounced. There is no noticeable drift in the cylinders any other time. I can also have the front of the machine off the ground and back drag and it is the same amount of play in those cylinders. I wouldn't think it would be internal cylinder seals because both cylinders are moving equally, could it have something to do with a check valve or the float mode bypassing? This makes it difficult to fine grade anything, any help would be appreciated.

knogen

How much play in pins and pin holes Take bucket off and tilt plate half way and take a pry bar and see how much play is in pins No bushing in cylinder rod

OP
OP
J

JamieD76

How much play in pins and pin holes Take bucket off and tilt plate half way and take a pry bar and see how much play is in pins No bushing in cylinder rod
There is some play at the rod end of the tilt cylinders, no play on the bucket pivot pins. My machine has bushings in the pivot pins but not the tilt pins and the play is in rod end of the tilt cylinder not the pins. I am waiting for the machine shop to get me in to get those bored out and put bushings in. My concern is I can watch the lift arm rods move up and down an inch each way. I know the play in the tilt doesn't help fine grading but it shouldn't let the lift arm cylinders move.

knogen

There is some play at the rod end of the tilt cylinders, no play on the bucket pivot pins. My machine has bushings in the pivot pins but not the tilt pins and the play is in rod end of the tilt cylinder not the pins. I am waiting for the machine shop to get me in to get those bored out and put bushings in. My concern is I can watch the lift arm rods move up and down an inch each way. I know the play in the tilt doesn't help fine grading but it shouldn't let the lift arm cylinders move.
Make sure you check both ends of cylinder Top wears too

OP
OP
J

JamieD76

Make sure you check both ends of cylinder Top wears too
Pins on all cylinders are good minus the tilt pins that I mentioned earlier. I did notice a lot of side to side play on the lift and tilt arms. Going to put some washers in there to make up that slack. Notice some play between the plate and bucket as well