236b tracks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

LIMaint

Just bought a Cat 236b, and was wondering if anyone makes aftermarket tracks for it, specificaly rubber style. Thanks, Nick

frank123

Solideal makes a nice set of OTT rubber tracks that will go over your 12x16.5 tires. It will raise your machine up about 1 1/2 inches, so your bucket will not sit flat on the ground. I believe they have a wheel and track kit to convert to 10x16.5's that will maintain your ride height to overcome this problem if it concerns you.

Frank

Speedy

Solideal makes a nice set of OTT rubber tracks that will go over your 12x16.5 tires. It will raise your machine up about 1 1/2 inches, so your bucket will not sit flat on the ground. I believe they have a wheel and track kit to convert to 10x16.5's that will maintain your ride height to overcome this problem if it concerns you.

Frank
You might have a look at: www.loegering.com Just be sitting down when they give you the price. But they are an excellent product.

BobcatGirl

We were looking for an OTT system for a Mustang 940 ... got pricing from Gaberdeen, they have the Protrac system. But they did say that if we don't have 3" clearance for the track, you have to get spacers that will increase the width of our machine by 1.5". We haven't pulled the trigger just yet - waiting on some Spring cash to come through.

skidsteer.ca

We were looking for an OTT system for a Mustang 940 ... got pricing from Gaberdeen, they have the Protrac system. But they did say that if we don't have 3" clearance for the track, you have to get spacers that will increase the width of our machine by 1.5". We haven't pulled the trigger just yet - waiting on some Spring cash to come through.
We also carry a steel track with @ a 3/4 rubber pad bonded to the shoe.
The pad is the same shape as the pad on are steel tracks, however there are more pads per set of tracks, the shoes are spaced closer together. 10 by 16.5 rubber track sets were under 3k usd
visit www.tracksplus.com or www.skidsteer.ca
Thanks
Ken

OP
OP
L

LIMaint

We also carry a steel track with @ a 3/4 rubber pad bonded to the shoe.
The pad is the same shape as the pad on are steel tracks, however there are more pads per set of tracks, the shoes are spaced closer together. 10 by 16.5 rubber track sets were under 3k usd
visit www.tracksplus.com or www.skidsteer.ca
Thanks
Ken
Since adding the tracks, I've been getting flats every few days. I can't figure it out. Its not the same tires and there is no puncture. It just seems that something is causing the tire bead to shift and the tire loses pressure and goes flat. I spoke with Cat and Mclaren and no one can explain it. I'm hoping that someone here can offer a suggestion or cause of it.

skidsteer.ca

Since adding the tracks, I've been getting flats every few days. I can't figure it out. Its not the same tires and there is no puncture. It just seems that something is causing the tire bead to shift and the tire loses pressure and goes flat. I spoke with Cat and Mclaren and no one can explain it. I'm hoping that someone here can offer a suggestion or cause of it.
How much air pressure are you running?
You certain you don't have any bead leaks?
How many flats? 2? 10?
I have never had a track push the tire off the bead without me knowing exactly why it happened?????????
Ken

OP
OP
L

LIMaint

How much air pressure are you running?
You certain you don't have any bead leaks?
How many flats? 2? 10?
I have never had a track push the tire off the bead without me knowing exactly why it happened?????????
Ken
I've had a total of 6 in the last few weeks(different tires) even on a new tire rimm combo... It's been cold so I've been checking the pressure alot. I dont have any idea of why this is happening... The dealer is blaming mclaren and mclaren says they have never had a problem like this. I am debating changing over to semi-pneumatic tires, but it is difficult because the tire/wheels that I have on are semi new (150hrs).

Tazza

Staff member
I've had a total of 6 in the last few weeks(different tires) even on a new tire rimm combo... It's been cold so I've been checking the pressure alot. I dont have any idea of why this is happening... The dealer is blaming mclaren and mclaren says they have never had a problem like this. I am debating changing over to semi-pneumatic tires, but it is difficult because the tire/wheels that I have on are semi new (150hrs).
What is it doing? does it simply push the tyre off the bead causing it to go flat? or is it actually damaging the tyre? You would require an insane amount of side pressure to pop a tyre off the bead when its fully inflated! Its hard enough popping them off when they are empty.
I agree with Ken, check your pressures, thats the only thing i can think that could cause the tyre to deflate. I'm not sure what you are running or what should be run for tracks but without tracks i run 40-50 PSI.

skidsteer.ca

What is it doing? does it simply push the tyre off the bead causing it to go flat? or is it actually damaging the tyre? You would require an insane amount of side pressure to pop a tyre off the bead when its fully inflated! Its hard enough popping them off when they are empty.
I agree with Ken, check your pressures, thats the only thing i can think that could cause the tyre to deflate. I'm not sure what you are running or what should be run for tracks but without tracks i run 40-50 PSI.
35 to 40 psi should be enough, you can go higher if you don't mind a rougher ride. If there is no sidewall damage to the tire from the sides of the track I would think you must have them tight enough the side of the track is not crawling up onto the face of the tire and getting so tight its pushing the bead off, you should hear the air woosh out and I would think you would have chunks cut out of the tire sidewall if this was occurring.
Have you been check your pressures religeously, after six flats I'd have my guage out 2 or 3 time a week until I got to the bottom of it. Now is this over a period of 150 hours use and 4 weeks or much longer? Tire should be checked at least monthly for pressure as I' sure your aware, not that all mine get checked that often but when I start having troubles I tend to keep a eye on them.
Have you tested your guage against another?
Also, I don't rely on the tire shops to get pressure right. I know on the 30.5 by 32 skidder tires we run, they were alway under inflated, I think the high volume of the tire made the shops compressor run so long that hot air was pumped into the tire, causing a noticable pressure drop when it cooled. But they are 20 times the volume of a 12 by 16.5
I have had old tires with slow leaks through the sidewalls, and even one new chinese tire, several slow bead leaks. It really sounds to me like its a loss of pressure.
Are you sure you rim offsets are the same on each side?
Not squeezing a 12" tire into a 10" track. (again I would think there would be tire damage, if thats even possible)
My expirence with Logeuring and Tracks Plus was put them on and run them, when they got so loose the wheels start to spin inside the track, tighten them up. I found that I had fewer flats and less tire wear.
Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Ken

OP
OP
L

LIMaint

35 to 40 psi should be enough, you can go higher if you don't mind a rougher ride. If there is no sidewall damage to the tire from the sides of the track I would think you must have them tight enough the side of the track is not crawling up onto the face of the tire and getting so tight its pushing the bead off, you should hear the air woosh out and I would think you would have chunks cut out of the tire sidewall if this was occurring.
Have you been check your pressures religeously, after six flats I'd have my guage out 2 or 3 time a week until I got to the bottom of it. Now is this over a period of 150 hours use and 4 weeks or much longer? Tire should be checked at least monthly for pressure as I' sure your aware, not that all mine get checked that often but when I start having troubles I tend to keep a eye on them.
Have you tested your guage against another?
Also, I don't rely on the tire shops to get pressure right. I know on the 30.5 by 32 skidder tires we run, they were alway under inflated, I think the high volume of the tire made the shops compressor run so long that hot air was pumped into the tire, causing a noticable pressure drop when it cooled. But they are 20 times the volume of a 12 by 16.5
I have had old tires with slow leaks through the sidewalls, and even one new chinese tire, several slow bead leaks. It really sounds to me like its a loss of pressure.
Are you sure you rim offsets are the same on each side?
Not squeezing a 12" tire into a 10" track. (again I would think there would be tire damage, if thats even possible)
My expirence with Logeuring and Tracks Plus was put them on and run them, when they got so loose the wheels start to spin inside the track, tighten them up. I found that I had fewer flats and less tire wear.
Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Ken
Since this has been happening I've kept an eye on the tires, they are inflated to 45psi. For some reason they seem to just be losing air (different tires). I just cant make heads or tails of it. I dont have any problems with the other smaller loaders. Someone told me that these Tires/wheels (size combo) have had problems? anyone heard of this? 12x16 tire.

pelpel

I had a long chat with a CAT Rep about buying a 236 with the Loegering VTS Track setup. It is the same cost at the end of the day byuing a 236 and a set of VTS vs. the CAT Track loaders (247 / 257 MTL). BUT, an interesting side note to anybody considering using tracks, ever over the tire tracks. According to the CAT Rep, the hydraulic motors / pumps on a regular skidsteer are not up to the task of continual track use due to the extra strain. When you order a new CAT SSL, you have the option from the factory to order uprated pump / motors which are warranty approved for track use. I don't know if this is a sales pitch or an admittance of a sub par product, but it is nonetheless something to consider as hydraulic motor / pump replacements can get costly.

skidsteer.ca

I had a long chat with a CAT Rep about buying a 236 with the Loegering VTS Track setup. It is the same cost at the end of the day byuing a 236 and a set of VTS vs. the CAT Track loaders (247 / 257 MTL). BUT, an interesting side note to anybody considering using tracks, ever over the tire tracks. According to the CAT Rep, the hydraulic motors / pumps on a regular skidsteer are not up to the task of continual track use due to the extra strain. When you order a new CAT SSL, you have the option from the factory to order uprated pump / motors which are warranty approved for track use. I don't know if this is a sales pitch or an admittance of a sub par product, but it is nonetheless something to consider as hydraulic motor / pump replacements can get costly.
The 12 bvy 16.5 are the common tire size for larger loaders 60 to 90 hp range. To my knowledge there is not a ongoing problem with them.
I guess the only other suggestion I have would be to put tubes in them.
Ken

mclarenusa.com

Hi LIMaint,
I understand that you are experiencing some issues on your track + tire combination. Feel free to contact me directly so we can try to resolve this situation for you. Perhaps we can extend you a great deal on a set of our Nu-Air semi-pneumatic tires. Let me know.
Best,
www.mclarenusa.com

Land-Tech

Hi LIMaint,
I understand that you are experiencing some issues on your track + tire combination. Feel free to contact me directly so we can try to resolve this situation for you. Perhaps we can extend you a great deal on a set of our Nu-Air semi-pneumatic tires. Let me know.
Best,
www.mclarenusa.com
Never had ott rubber, but with grouser steel on my mustangs,like Ken, I found tire wear was better . low air pressure would pop them pretty easily. Without any visual damage its a mystery. maybe put machine through its paces and have someone watch to see if there is a problem. I feel for you changing all those flats thanks