2006 mtl16 starting problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jknowles4

I have had this loader for about 3 years. The first year it was trouble free, I just use it around the house mainly. When going to move it one day it would not start. It turned over but wouldn't fire. After messing with it I found that if I pulled a fuse out of the fuse panel I could get it to run. When this fuse is pulled it runs but the fuel pump in the door has no power and the gauge cluster has no power either. I cleaned all the electrical connections I could find. It seems there is a safety that is keeping it from starting but I can't seem to find the right one?? Any ideas? Some days I can go out and it will start right up and then other days it will just turn over with no fire, pull the fuse and it starts. I have searched on the net for a month and have yet to find a solution. Recently changed all filters (hydraulic, oil, fuel) and still have the problem.

OP
OP
J

jknowles4

Messed with it a long time today and thought I had it figured out. Not the case. The fuse I'm pulling says monitor feed pump. When I pull this the engine runs but I have no gauges and the fuel pump in the door doesn't run.

Tazza

Staff member
Messed with it a long time today and thought I had it figured out. Not the case. The fuse I'm pulling says monitor feed pump. When I pull this the engine runs but I have no gauges and the fuel pump in the door doesn't run.
I'd start looking at what it has for a fuel shut off, it sounds like you have power issues with the shut off solenoid.
Some engines have a solenoid that when powered off turns the engine off, others have solenoids that need power to turn the engine off. It is possible yours is being powered keeping the fuel to the engine off?
It's somewhere to start at least.

OP
OP
J

jknowles4

I'd start looking at what it has for a fuel shut off, it sounds like you have power issues with the shut off solenoid.
Some engines have a solenoid that when powered off turns the engine off, others have solenoids that need power to turn the engine off. It is possible yours is being powered keeping the fuel to the engine off?
It's somewhere to start at least.
Thank you! I will definitely check this out!

OP
OP
J

jknowles4

Thank you! I will definitely check this out!
Ok, just to update in case someone else has this problem. There are two wires that go to the positive battery terminal that I think we're not making a good connection. Cleaned the terminals and connections and it seems to be starting with no problem now. I feel really stupid it was something this simple but at least it's working for now!!

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, just to update in case someone else has this problem. There are two wires that go to the positive battery terminal that I think we're not making a good connection. Cleaned the terminals and connections and it seems to be starting with no problem now. I feel really stupid it was something this simple but at least it's working for now!!
Glad you found the issue, bad power connections can cause all sorts of issues.
Why feel stupid? you found the issue, not everyone would!

OP
OP
J

jknowles4

Glad you found the issue, bad power connections can cause all sorts of issues.
Why feel stupid? you found the issue, not everyone would!
Ok, thought I had the problem fixed but it has returned. Some days it will start amd run fine all day. Then the next day it won't start without pulling the fuse. If I turn the key immediately to start it will start every time and then the full shut off solenoid with kick it off. What are the signs of a bad full solenoid?