2001 NH LS180 Skid Steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tallpine

I purchased this machine a year ago and have a serious hydraulic oil leak from the bottom plate. Hoping it's a connection somewhere in the belly. How best to get at it? Do I have to find a way to get it up high enough to get at the bottom? Or is it best to access through the top? If so I'm wondering if the seat has to come out? Anyone have experience with this?

Dirtballer

hoses
I've had to replace the red hose twice - the last time just a few days ago. I don't know if it's the one that's causing your problems, but this one rests on the pan and vibration causes it to rub. The first time I replaced it (repaired), I used zip ties to pull it up off the pan. Eventually, the zip ties broke and it fell, but the hose itself just wore out this time. It will give you back aches to replace it unless you want to take more of the machine apart and access it from the side.
I have to believe that my LS160 isn't much different than your 180. The seat should just lift up and hook on the right side near the window in the back. Once up, you can then take out the foot rest and left hydrostatic control handle assembly for access to the left side of the pump (if that's where you're leaking).
Here's a link to the LS160 Service Manual for ideas - your machine should be very similar: https://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=407218&d=1376313298
(you may have to sign up to access)
If I wanted to buy the hose, it would cost me about $130.00. But the guy who repairs hoses around here made me a new one for $60.00. The trick is to carefully remove any couplings from the old hose with a cut-off wheel and take them to a shop/parts store that makes hoses and they can make you a new hose with your couplings - they just charge you for the hose and new sleeves.

OP
OP
T

Tallpine

I've had to replace the red hose twice - the last time just a few days ago. I don't know if it's the one that's causing your problems, but this one rests on the pan and vibration causes it to rub. The first time I replaced it (repaired), I used zip ties to pull it up off the pan. Eventually, the zip ties broke and it fell, but the hose itself just wore out this time. It will give you back aches to replace it unless you want to take more of the machine apart and access it from the side.
I have to believe that my LS160 isn't much different than your 180. The seat should just lift up and hook on the right side near the window in the back. Once up, you can then take out the foot rest and left hydrostatic control handle assembly for access to the left side of the pump (if that's where you're leaking).
Here's a link to the LS160 Service Manual for ideas - your machine should be very similar: https://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=407218&d=1376313298
(you may have to sign up to access)
If I wanted to buy the hose, it would cost me about $130.00. But the guy who repairs hoses around here made me a new one for $60.00. The trick is to carefully remove any couplings from the old hose with a cut-off wheel and take them to a shop/parts store that makes hoses and they can make you a new hose with your couplings - they just charge you for the hose and new sleeves.
Thank you. Will try that tomorrow. I'm not sure what you mean by accessing from the side. I took off a panel on the left side and only found big chains running in gear oil. I couldn't get to the inside. That's when I looked for this forum.

Dirtballer

Thank you. Will try that tomorrow. I'm not sure what you mean by accessing from the side. I took off a panel on the left side and only found big chains running in gear oil. I couldn't get to the inside. That's when I looked for this forum.
> only found big chains running in gear oil
Wrong panel. And that should be 10w30, not gear oil.
Move higher to the long panel behind the tires... it goes from top center of front tire to top center of rear tire and forms a ledge outside, under your cab cage. There should only be two bolts holding it on, it clips to the machine along the bottom of the panel - you should see the clips behind the tires.
Once you pull that off, you can take out the foam blockers and raise/lock the boom to access the guts of the machine from outside vs. contorting in the bowels.