2 new tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

krunchkat99

I had a parts dealer tell me that when adding two new tires put them both on rear or front but looking at owners manual it says when adding two new tires to put them on the same side. Any opinions as to which way may be better for the machine, cause less problems? Thanks.

mllud

Add them to the same side.Listen to your owners manual. If you have different diameters to one side it will put your chains under stress. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
Add them to the same side.Listen to your owners manual. If you have different diameters to one side it will put your chains under stress. Mike
Exactly, they must go on the same side. In dirt i honestly don't believe you will have any real problems but on *sticky* surfaces like bitumen you can break chains as one tyre will be turning faster than the other and will put stress on that chain.

OP
OP
K

krunchkat99

Exactly, they must go on the same side. In dirt i honestly don't believe you will have any real problems but on *sticky* surfaces like bitumen you can break chains as one tyre will be turning faster than the other and will put stress on that chain.
Thanks for the advice. I'm doing a paint job now and will be adding the two almost new tires to the machine soon. Can't wait to dig in the dirt.

OP
OP
K

krunchkat99

We expect pictures and detailed repair techniques :)
Ken
Providing I can figure out how, I will gladly add some photos if I ever get the job done. Hopefully in about a week it will be ready for some snapshots. I am a rookie painter so its a slow process.

Tazza

Staff member
Providing I can figure out how, I will gladly add some photos if I ever get the job done. Hopefully in about a week it will be ready for some snapshots. I am a rookie painter so its a slow process.
If you have problems posting the pictures you can always send them to ken or I, we can then post them for you.

OP
OP
K

krunchkat99

If you have problems posting the pictures you can always send them to ken or I, we can then post them for you.
Got the paint done on Saturday, anyone know how long I should wait until I put on the decals. Paint seemed to dry almost instantly to the touch but not sure how long it takes to cure enough to put the decals over. Also, (this machine (Thomas 135s) is new to me) and while I had it up on blocks with the wheels off I checked the drive chains. Manual calls for half inch of play and right side has about 3 inches with next to no adjustment left. Looks like a new chain will be nessecary. Any ball park figures on price of a drive chain? Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
Got the paint done on Saturday, anyone know how long I should wait until I put on the decals. Paint seemed to dry almost instantly to the touch but not sure how long it takes to cure enough to put the decals over. Also, (this machine (Thomas 135s) is new to me) and while I had it up on blocks with the wheels off I checked the drive chains. Manual calls for half inch of play and right side has about 3 inches with next to no adjustment left. Looks like a new chain will be nessecary. Any ball park figures on price of a drive chain? Thanks.
I waited about a week to put mine on. I cleaned the area that i was going to fit the decal to, then i used soapy water in a spray bottle to spray the same area and the back of the decal. Peeled it off and stuck it down. The water helps you to adjust the location of the decal. One other tip is to work out where it will sit, use masking tape and stick ONE side of the decal to the machine, then spray it with water and slowly remove the backing while sticking it down. A helper sure does help here, don't over work the decal, it will stretch if you rub it too much to try and get the water and air out from underneath.
Drive chain, i was quoted about $50/metre from a mate that sells wire rope and chain. Measure your old chains with and length between pins, then count the links then you will get the rite size.
I hope at least some of that makes sense....

OP
OP
K

krunchkat99

I waited about a week to put mine on. I cleaned the area that i was going to fit the decal to, then i used soapy water in a spray bottle to spray the same area and the back of the decal. Peeled it off and stuck it down. The water helps you to adjust the location of the decal. One other tip is to work out where it will sit, use masking tape and stick ONE side of the decal to the machine, then spray it with water and slowly remove the backing while sticking it down. A helper sure does help here, don't over work the decal, it will stretch if you rub it too much to try and get the water and air out from underneath.
Drive chain, i was quoted about $50/metre from a mate that sells wire rope and chain. Measure your old chains with and length between pins, then count the links then you will get the rite size.
I hope at least some of that makes sense....
Thanks for the info Tazza, are you able to use water with all decals as far as you know? Am I asking for big trouble if I run the loader a bit with the loose chain? Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the info Tazza, are you able to use water with all decals as far as you know? Am I asking for big trouble if I run the loader a bit with the loose chain? Thanks.
i believe all vinyl decals can be applied this way, but i guess its not a bad idea to ask the dealer if it will work.
If there is only a bit of slack i can't see a problem, but it would be something to look into changing later.

Latest posts