1980 IH 4140 SkidLoader

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hoss2713

I am not sure where to post my questions on here for my 1980 IH 4140 Skid loader, but I recently acquired it from my father in-law and it is in pretty decent shape for the year as it sat in his barn for several years. It has about 1450 hours on it, has a Chrysler 4cyl Gas engine in it. I am wondering what type of fluids I should be using it, if there are certain things I should know about this particular model etc... Just trying to gather as much info as I can on the machine. He bought it brand new in 1980, but after getting out of the cattle business, it just sat in his barn. It runs pretty good, but still would like to keep it in good running order as it is a handy little machine. Any help here would be great!!! Thank you

Bandit1047

If the machine has been sitting for a while you need to change the engine oil since condensation will put water into the oil. This is a MUST and you will then have a time date for when the oil was last changed. Drain some of the hydraulic oil and see if it is milky or has water in it, than change it. I would change the plugs, air filter, oil filter & oil.
If the engine has an external oil filter, use a 10W30 or 15W40 detergent oil. If there is NO external filter, Use a Non-detergent oil straight 30 weight. If the hydraulic oil is red, it is most likely auto trans fluid however it is most likely engine oil or hydraulic fluid. You can purchase general purpose hydraulic oil at Tractor supply.