1830 Case

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bob Norris

Hello, I have an opportunity to buy (cheap) a 1830 case skid steer. It runs ok,, growls a bit while turning but,, I ran it for about 10 minutes digging dirt. I herd what I now know to be a chain slipping. Suddenly,, the right rear wheel stopped pulling. Can anybody describe for me what I might be into? Bob

Tazza

Staff member
Just 1 wheel?
If so, it will be either the chain broke or the teeth have been torn off the sprocket. If its the chain, it will usually lock the wheel up when the broken length gets twisted up on the sprocket.
Thats about a far as my knowledge goes with case machines, sorry.
You will need to have a peek inside the chain case to assess the damage.

deck60

Just 1 wheel?
If so, it will be either the chain broke or the teeth have been torn off the sprocket. If its the chain, it will usually lock the wheel up when the broken length gets twisted up on the sprocket.
Thats about a far as my knowledge goes with case machines, sorry.
You will need to have a peek inside the chain case to assess the damage.
yes I sure can you should think about buying a manual but I just did this today in fact and it was +7 degrees out you have to take off the cover off the top of the gear cases and this will expose the chains you will need 5 ft of # 60 chain and a lot of patitence 1 take off the tires 2 take off the top gear case cover 3 look inside it could be full of ice mine was nothing a knipco and a heat gun and 3 hrs time 4 take a pice of fine wire and cut about 3 ft and hook on each end of the new chain 5 loosen the adjuster and the axle hub and release it totaly you will need all of it 6clean the case out diesel fuel is what the manual recomends 7 run the chain around the gears and hook them on the small gear 8 this is importsant : buy 2 conector links cut one so you have 2 3/8 long stubs now put them in the new chain take a bar and rotate the wheeel back to where the inspection hole is now this is tricky with one hand go on the inside and push the new conector link in and push out the one you made save it you may need it again and the put the keepers on and then tighten the chain using the tightner you are to have .375 chain deflection and fill it with sae 30 4 qts 9 put all back together I would advise tightening all chains though