10W30 motor oil vs Hydraulic Oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

daddygoose

My 1983 1050 skattrak is using 10W30 motor oil for the Hydraulics, per the manufacture. it only produces 9GPM flow at 2100PSI. It also makes squeeling noise when every your turning or using the Hydraulics. the hydraulic system has been rebuilt with in the last couple of years. Can i change out the motor oil and replace with Hydraulic fluid and have better response and get rid of the squeel. I'm hopping it will increase the flow rate also.

markplow

Note that squeling when turning and low flow (I assume you mean at the aux hydraulic couplers) are two separate issues if nothing else. These are control by two seperate pumps. Piston pumps for drive (1 for each side) and a gear pump for the working hydraulics. Are you sure 9 GPM is low?
See my response to your other post with some thoughts on your squealing issue and which oil to use.

OP
OP
D

daddygoose

Note that squeling when turning and low flow (I assume you mean at the aux hydraulic couplers) are two separate issues if nothing else. These are control by two seperate pumps. Piston pumps for drive (1 for each side) and a gear pump for the working hydraulics. Are you sure 9 GPM is low?
See my response to your other post with some thoughts on your squealing issue and which oil to use.
The 9 GPM is the flow for the SSL but im still concerned about the high squeling from the drive motors. would the use of motor oil vs hydraulic oil make any difference in this. The machine runs great according to my 12 year old. i haven't had too much seat time due to working all the time.

Tazza

Staff member
The 9 GPM is the flow for the SSL but im still concerned about the high squeling from the drive motors. would the use of motor oil vs hydraulic oil make any difference in this. The machine runs great according to my 12 year old. i haven't had too much seat time due to working all the time.
Thicker oil could make it quieter, but hydrostatics are always a little noisy, more so on sticky surfaces like concrete. Some can be quiet, some can be rather loud, but work just as well.....
If the oil you are using now is too thin, it could be your problem. Hydrostatic pumps really need heavier oil to protect the rotating parts.

markplow

Keep in mind that ISO 46 is only effectively "thicker" than 10W-30 at low temperatures. At operating temps 10W-30 will act like 30W and therefore actually be thicker than ISO 46. See the link below to a chart that may help demonstrate this.
I would still recommend checking the control linkage if you think this squeal is excessive. It has amazed me in the past how much noise a badly adjusted or worn linkage can make. And yes, the noise seems to come from the pump (even though arguably it may not actually be the pump itself making the noise).
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

markplow

Keep in mind that ISO 46 is only effectively "thicker" than 10W-30 at low temperatures. At operating temps 10W-30 will act like 30W and therefore actually be thicker than ISO 46. See the link below to a chart that may help demonstrate this.
I would still recommend checking the control linkage if you think this squeal is excessive. It has amazed me in the past how much noise a badly adjusted or worn linkage can make. And yes, the noise seems to come from the pump (even though arguably it may not actually be the pump itself making the noise).
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html
Let me correct my previous statement a bit....
Viscosity comparison between ISO numbers and SAE numbers are difficult. ISO viscosities are at 40°C (104°F) while SAE number are at -18°C (0°F). This said they are not apples to apples, but ISO 46 and SAE 10W-30 are going to be quite similar in effective "thickness" at operating temperatures. It could be that ISO 46 is actually slightly "thicker" depending on the exact temperature of operation, but it will not be much...

OP
OP
D

daddygoose

Let me correct my previous statement a bit....
Viscosity comparison between ISO numbers and SAE numbers are difficult. ISO viscosities are at 40°C (104°F) while SAE number are at -18°C (0°F). This said they are not apples to apples, but ISO 46 and SAE 10W-30 are going to be quite similar in effective "thickness" at operating temperatures. It could be that ISO 46 is actually slightly "thicker" depending on the exact temperature of operation, but it will not be much...
well I live in south Alabama so we get pretty hot here. 80 to 95 on a good summer day. And usally around the 60 to 70 in the winter. at least this is the only tempatures we will use the SSL.

rayray

i have a 01 1750d i changed the oil out and put hydraulic back with no problems after about 100 hours of use since the change

Latest posts