Tires and Tubes?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BobCat

Hey fellas I have a 743 and the right rear tire goes flat in about 3 days. All four tires have great tread and are original but they are weather cracked. Would it be okay to put a tube in the one that's leaking?

Tigerhaze

You can put a tube in, but you may want to find out why they are leaking down. The cause of the slow leak may very well be the cracked sidewalls, but I have found it is also sometimes caused by caked dirt along the inner surface of the rim where the bead seals that can cause a slow leak. I had that problem after pushing the bead off the rim in deep mud and then resealing the tire. A good cleaning of the inner rim solved my problem.
In any case, you will find out when the tire is removed.

Tigerhaze

You can put a tube in, but you may want to find out why they are leaking down. The cause of the slow leak may very well be the cracked sidewalls, but I have found it is also sometimes caused by caked dirt along the inner surface of the rim where the bead seals that can cause a slow leak. I had that problem after pushing the bead off the rim in deep mud and then resealing the tire. A good cleaning of the inner rim solved my problem.
In any case, you will find out when the tire is removed.
I forgot to mention that I have also found slow leaks caused by embedded thorns or nails that rean't vibile until the tire is removed- my farm has a lot of hedge (osage orange) and locust trees and so I get that problem as well.

OP
OP
B

BobCat

I forgot to mention that I have also found slow leaks caused by embedded thorns or nails that rean't vibile until the tire is removed- my farm has a lot of hedge (osage orange) and locust trees and so I get that problem as well.
Thanks fellas! Tube it is.

Mikefromcny

The tires on my 753 came filled with foam. After using for the past three years, I am glad that they are because I've had zero problems with flat tires.
How about tire slime? I've had great luck with that and if you run over a nail it will seal the hole back up. When I got my 743, it had some very smooth tires on it. A friend sold me some dry rotted ones with good tread for $50, they would slowly leak down. Put some slime in each one, good to go.

donald73d

How about tire slime? I've had great luck with that and if you run over a nail it will seal the hole back up. When I got my 743, it had some very smooth tires on it. A friend sold me some dry rotted ones with good tread for $50, they would slowly leak down. Put some slime in each one, good to go.
On larger tractor tires they can also apply large patches on the inside to kind of fix rotted sidewalls. The patch prevents the tube from pushing out a crack. While you cam fix one or two cracks that way, at some point its time for a new tire. Unsure if that is done on skidder tires.