Side slope tilt on a T180

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobbie-g

OK gang, what sort of a side slope can I operate my T180 on? Obvious answer: when it rolls, remember the slope angle and don't do that again. I have installed sissy gauges (angle gauges) on my 751 and my T180. On the 751, I know I can do 38 degrees side slope with the bucket down (saw the contractor do it once). So I never work it over 30 degrees and I'm comfy. The only thing I can figure on the T180 is to put it on a controlled slope (pile of dirt in the front yard) with another machine off to the side with a safety chain and just increase the slope until the T180 starts to get tippy. I do a lot of mowing in hilly terrain and I would like to know what's safe and what's not. One of the reasons I got the tracked machine was because I felt it would be more stable on a side slope. Anyone have experience? Or an opinion? :) ---RC

siduramaxde

In the conditions here my T200 will start to slip down the hill b4 it will tip (on dirt). With that said, I have never tipped mine over and don't plan on finding out the tipping angle. Please also keep in mind that I live in farm country so I don't have to work on many side slopes.

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

In the conditions here my T200 will start to slip down the hill b4 it will tip (on dirt). With that said, I have never tipped mine over and don't plan on finding out the tipping angle. Please also keep in mind that I live in farm country so I don't have to work on many side slopes.
Hey, good answer! I don't plan to find the tipping angle the hard way either. I would like to have a nice dirt slope to work across to see how it handles there. What would you guess is the angle at which it begins to slip? I think the range of 35 to 38 degrees on my 751 was a point where it started to slip. :) ---RC

bobcat_ron

Hey, good answer! I don't plan to find the tipping angle the hard way either. I would like to have a nice dirt slope to work across to see how it handles there. What would you guess is the angle at which it begins to slip? I think the range of 35 to 38 degrees on my 751 was a point where it started to slip. :) ---RC
When it feels like your going to slide off your seat, that's about the limit, or the tracks start to click, like they want to run off, I've had my T190 on a 3:1 slope, any greater than that and it would start to slide.
I've had a D4G dozer on a 2:1 last year and it slid until it caught an edge, it's not the sliding that will flip you over, it's what ever stops the machine's momentum and THEN it flips over that you have to worry about.

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

When it feels like your going to slide off your seat, that's about the limit, or the tracks start to click, like they want to run off, I've had my T190 on a 3:1 slope, any greater than that and it would start to slide.
I've had a D4G dozer on a 2:1 last year and it slid until it caught an edge, it's not the sliding that will flip you over, it's what ever stops the machine's momentum and THEN it flips over that you have to worry about.
Ron, tnx for the info. What do you mean by a 3:1 slope? 1 ft drop for every 3 ft horizontal? That equates to about an 18 degree angle. Doesn't seem like very much. Even the 2:1 for your dozer equates to 27 degrees. I was thinking it should handle at least 30 degrees, maybe 40 degrees. --- Good observation re sliding until it catches, then flips. ---- No, I'm not a daredevil in any sense. I just am trying to establish where the danger point is so that I never get close to it. Essentially all of my work is mowing on forested and brushy hillsides, so I wouldn't expect it to ever slide unless I hit a muddy or frozen patch. Tnx again, ---RC

gtstang462002

Ron, tnx for the info. What do you mean by a 3:1 slope? 1 ft drop for every 3 ft horizontal? That equates to about an 18 degree angle. Doesn't seem like very much. Even the 2:1 for your dozer equates to 27 degrees. I was thinking it should handle at least 30 degrees, maybe 40 degrees. --- Good observation re sliding until it catches, then flips. ---- No, I'm not a daredevil in any sense. I just am trying to establish where the danger point is so that I never get close to it. Essentially all of my work is mowing on forested and brushy hillsides, so I wouldn't expect it to ever slide unless I hit a muddy or frozen patch. Tnx again, ---RC
My biggest concern with too much side slope would be the oil level reaching the crankshaft and creating an unneeded oil foaming condition and wiping rod and main bearings at that point. The manufacturer has these specs posted somewhere for this reason. I will find them later on tonight if I can.