Movement & Grinding Noise During Engine Start on Case 1838

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

HighFly27

Hello All, I just bought a (1998 ?) Case 1838 a few days ago. I just started to check the 1838 out and do a full service. The hours are around 3,2XX, appears to be in -- fair to good shape, it runs A Ok; but I have not used it for more than 30 minutes (so far). It has a (4) cyl. Kubota diesel & love it. 1. However, during the 1st start up... the machine wants to move to the right (mostly) when you engage the starter. It's moving about a foot or so and you hear some noise as well. I was thinking it was from the (grinding noise) chains as it lurches to the right but swings a little left as well, so it's see-sawing. I have tried to start it with the safety bar down and up, it's lurches about the same, maybe a little more when the safety bar is up. Now, once the machine is warmed up, the side to side motion is less (about 50%) but it's still there. Also, I heard a little clicking, just for moment when I backed it up on the trailer, thinking .. loose chains. I plan on checking the chains out for proper adjustment and inspect them as well during the full service. 2. The bucket tilt pins are shot and ordered new pins and bushings, all the other pins have acceptable wear. 3. The left side lift cylinder is leaking, I ordered a new seal kit assy. from Case. 4. The bucket is rusted (acid) out in the rear because it was farm machine. I made a card board template of the rear of the bucket. I had a local fabrication shop roll a 1/4 T. inch plate to match the template, along with (2) 3/16 T. side plates. I'm picked up the bucket liner today, the Fit is A Ok & will try to post some pictures. Anyway, I'm guessing I have lock out valve problem. However, I'd like to hear it from someone that has had this type of problem before. I'm a retired heavy equipment mechanic but have limited knowledge of skid steers. I have a Case 1830 and it does not have this lurching problem. However, I have a never ending battle with the 1830 Renault gas engine... it's no prize. I've been looking to repower it with a diesel and dump the Renault engine. Thanks' in Advance, Avery

woodsrat

Not sure how to ajust the creep out of that one but would look into it
I also found that some of the jerking and grinding at start up seemed to be a rod end ball joint that is on the end of the rods coming off of the drive (control) sticks. Heard others talking about some movement at start up so this may be some of the same problems. Took picture of rod end but have no clue on how to post.