Tire size case 1838

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

schewejoe

Hello, I recently purchased a nice 1838 case with 1720 hours on it. The tires are 10x16.5, and getting to be in poor shape. I was curious if anyone has mounted 12x16.5 on the narrower rims that the 10x16.5 are mounted and had it work well? Or if I'm just better off trying to find some wider rims that are 6 lug, thanks for any suggestions!

mrbb

I'm no expert, butt you most likely will not just need wider wheels, you will have to know what off set is needed for clearance,
if you don't get correct offset you could end up with things rubbing! as just wider wheels don't mean they will be a working combination!

because if you go from 10x16.5 to 12x16.5, you might also run into tire clearance issues in general(too tall wide)
as the 12x16.5 will be about 3 inches taller and 2 inches wider
going to larger tires will also effect stress on parts
if your wanting to go to the 12's for more ground clearance, your only going to gain an inch and a half is that, which I really don't think is worth the hassle and costs to do so
if more traction or flotation is what your after, you might be better off going with over the tire tracks, which will gain you both in a noticeable way, but even with this, you may need to get spacers to not have rubbing/clearance issues
and tracks will also add more stress to machine
there is no way of getting past this with either however! how machine gets used with them and the operator using it will have more impact on how hard the new set up can be on things
adding bigger tires/tracks, can some times find the weak link and lead to repairs, HAHA!
food for thought!

Gearclash

12x16.5 tires won't work on rims intended for 10x16.5 tires. You would probably need custom widened rims so the offset is right.

Chevoldsmoyota

Taller tires will also mean that your bucket will not sit flat on the ground when trying to scrape level with grass or concrete. I swapped 12-16.5s onto a machine that needed 10x16.5s and ended up gouging a lot of grass while moving snow off of sidewalks. Getting new (correct size) tires tomorrow!

Chevoldsmoyota

Notice how the bucket sits resting at a downward angle

Attachments

• IMG_7193.jpeg
    IMG_7193.jpeg
    491.7 KB · Views: 25