M700 rebuild and restore project

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Next is removing the flywheel. It's held on by a 1 11/16' nut. A quick trip to Northern Tool and I've got an impact socket that'll fit that. Several shots of PB Blaster and some impact action - it's off.
To get the flywheel off you simply wack it with a small mallet from behind through the starter hole in the shroud. It took quite a bit of PB Blaster and elbow grease but it came loose.
 20121103_074719.jpg
I then rigged a come-along to a board laid over several roof joists to pick the block of the mounting plate and work platform.

20121103_083814.jpg
I set that bad boy down on a re-enforced pallet and bolted it down. A little shrink wrap and it's ready to ship!

SkidRoe

To get the flywheel off you simply wack it with a small mallet from behind through the starter hole in the shroud. It took quite a bit of PB Blaster and elbow grease but it came loose.

I then rigged a come-along to a board laid over several roof joists to pick the block of the mounting plate and work platform.

I set that bad boy down on a re-enforced pallet and bolted it down. A little shrink wrap and it's ready to ship!
I see the M700 isn't the only thing in the shop with the engine in the back...

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

I see the M700 isn't the only thing in the shop with the engine in the back...
Almost in the back Skid... mid-engine Porsches are another hobby. We have a '07 Cayman S, '02 Boxster (Jami's car) and I'm co-owner on a track only '99 Boxster. First generation Boxsters are actually a good buy and lots of fun!

SkidRoe

Almost in the back Skid... mid-engine Porsches are another hobby. We have a '07 Cayman S, '02 Boxster (Jami's car) and I'm co-owner on a track only '99 Boxster. First generation Boxsters are actually a good buy and lots of fun!
Cool, sounds like fun!! I am way too cheap... I have to make do with an old 2001 BMW 740iL E38, different kind of fun. I call it the ultimate family car!!

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Cool, sounds like fun!! I am way too cheap... I have to make do with an old 2001 BMW 740iL E38, different kind of fun. I call it the ultimate family car!!
Latest update. The rebuilder has the VH4D and is already well under way. His voicemail said the piston were "stuffy" and the rings frozen. Meanwhile I'm painting all the cowling off the engine, the mounting plate and most of the chassis a section at a time. I did find a boom crack under the right hand boom when I pulled off the hydraulic line fasteners. I found a thread here that indicates these cracks are fairly common. When I get the engine back I'll start putting everything back together and post photos of that progress.

Tazza

Staff member
Latest update. The rebuilder has the VH4D and is already well under way. His voicemail said the piston were "stuffy" and the rings frozen. Meanwhile I'm painting all the cowling off the engine, the mounting plate and most of the chassis a section at a time. I did find a boom crack under the right hand boom when I pulled off the hydraulic line fasteners. I found a thread here that indicates these cracks are fairly common. When I get the engine back I'll start putting everything back together and post photos of that progress.
Yep, that's where they generally go. I gouged mine out with a plasma and welded the crack up with quality rods.

Mikefromcny

Yep, that's where they generally go. I gouged mine out with a plasma and welded the crack up with quality rods.
My fix would have been to hone the cylinders, rering the pistons if not too sloppy and throw in new rod and main bearings, but I'm a cheap skate :)

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

My fix would have been to hone the cylinders, rering the pistons if not too sloppy and throw in new rod and main bearings, but I'm a cheap skate :)
More progress over the weekend. Here's the throttle and chock control linkage before and after..
20121110_103727.jpg
20121117_112156.jpg

And the ROPS after stripping and painting...
20121118_122423.jpg

20121118_144935.jpg

Mikefromcny

Looking good! Keep the pictures coming!
Looks great! Glad you went with the white rops. The only catch is now you will be very careful on what you do with it since its all painted now. I used my 743 a few times after I painted it, and was wiping mud off the loader arms and buffing scratches out with a magic eraser!

cp7

Looks great! Glad you went with the white rops. The only catch is now you will be very careful on what you do with it since its all painted now. I used my 743 a few times after I painted it, and was wiping mud off the loader arms and buffing scratches out with a magic eraser!
Hans that would be great if you could show a couple pics of the two speed linkage.
Mostly the bellcrank on the right hand motor and linkage rods from the lever.
The main thing I see different from your to mine is mine has six lug wheels.
It must be an earlier model. Mine also has a black ROPS.
Your 700 is looking good.
Thanks, Craig

SkidRoe

Hans that would be great if you could show a couple pics of the two speed linkage.
Thanks, Craig
Six lug wheels? I thought that all 7-series machines had 8 lug wheels.... That seems weird to me. Your 630 will have 6 lug wheels.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Thanks, Craig
cp7 I tried getting down in there with my phone to take the pictures but they didn't turn out very good. It's REALLY tight with the alternator in the way. I do have a very nice M700 parts manual with the exploded diagrams. That will probably be more help than these photos. Not sure about the six lug wheels. I'm thinking that as a transitional model, the 700 series used many parts common to the 600 series. I wouldn't be surprised to find differences in machines as Melroe used up parts in inventory. Same applies to the ROPS color I think. As they used up all the white ROPS in stock, the paint shop probably started shooting black ones. Mine was painted white with a poor black over-spray. I'm curious if all the 710s and 720s came with black ROPs. Give me a couple days and I'll have that page from the parts manual uploaded for you.

cp7

cp7 I tried getting down in there with my phone to take the pictures but they didn't turn out very good. It's REALLY tight with the alternator in the way. I do have a very nice M700 parts manual with the exploded diagrams. That will probably be more help than these photos. Not sure about the six lug wheels. I'm thinking that as a transitional model, the 700 series used many parts common to the 600 series. I wouldn't be surprised to find differences in machines as Melroe used up parts in inventory. Same applies to the ROPS color I think. As they used up all the white ROPS in stock, the paint shop probably started shooting black ones. Mine was painted white with a poor black over-spray. I'm curious if all the 710s and 720s came with black ROPs. Give me a couple days and I'll have that page from the parts manual uploaded for you.
Your alright Hans, we've got ours taken apart further than yours and I know how tight it is in there.
I've got the manuals for both my M700 and the 630. It does have a pretty good pic of that linkage.
What I'd love to know is how far the lever on the motors travel. Do they move as much as the pumps?
Our motors have a lock bolt that restricts or actually locks the movement of the yoke so that they won't move. The parts manual shows these bolts and the service manual shows how to adjust them so that the motors are synched. Does yours have these lock bolts?

The parts manual shows both six lug and eight lug axles for the M700 Skid.

SkidRoe

Was there a 710? I have never seen one and I can't find anything on the web about one.

SkidRoe

"Was there a 710?" Yep, my error. 700/720 Wisconsin VH4D. 721 Deutz 411D. 722 Ford 1.6L.
NP - My neighbour has a real nice 722, and a pretty clean 610. How is the Millenium Falcon coming along? Any progress of note?

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

NP - My neighbour has a real nice 722, and a pretty clean 610. How is the Millenium Falcon coming along? Any progress of note?
"How is the Millenium Falcon coming along?" That's a funny that you would know that we did have a '84 Chevy short bus (last restore project) that we called the Millenium Falcon. I sold it and used some of the funds to purchase this '74 M700. Anyway... yesterday I sanded and painted the drivers compartment, controls and boom arms. The only areas still needing paint at this point are the rear door/counter weight, the tilt cylinders and inner chassis. It's doubtful that I'll attempt to paint the inner chassis area without a complete tear down. It's really not that rusty anyway with all the oils and such coating everything LOL. The re-builder is shipping the VH4D Monday and I'll probably get it later in the week. Re-assembly will take several weekends so target date to get the machine fired up and moving is mid-Dec. I'm considering purchasing a new seat as the one that's on there has a crack that soaks up rain water and is a great way to get your butt wet.

mahans7

"How is the Millenium Falcon coming along?" That's a funny that you would know that we did have a '84 Chevy short bus (last restore project) that we called the Millenium Falcon. I sold it and used some of the funds to purchase this '74 M700. Anyway... yesterday I sanded and painted the drivers compartment, controls and boom arms. The only areas still needing paint at this point are the rear door/counter weight, the tilt cylinders and inner chassis. It's doubtful that I'll attempt to paint the inner chassis area without a complete tear down. It's really not that rusty anyway with all the oils and such coating everything LOL. The re-builder is shipping the VH4D Monday and I'll probably get it later in the week. Re-assembly will take several weekends so target date to get the machine fired up and moving is mid-Dec. I'm considering purchasing a new seat as the one that's on there has a crack that soaks up rain water and is a great way to get your butt wet.
HS, with all the painting and fixing you're doing, you should replace the seat. New seats look so nice on a painted machine and no more "wet butt"(did I really just write that?).

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

HS, with all the painting and fixing you're doing, you should replace the seat. New seats look so nice on a painted machine and no more "wet butt"(did I really just write that?).
Finally got the rebuilt motor back from Martin Motors. Although he was pretty quick on the turn-around, the shipping company dropped the ball. Not only was the freight three days late but they also trashed the pallet the motor was bolted too. There's some minor damage to one of the cooling fins but I think the internals are fine.
20121206_163456.jpg
Used a come-along to pull it off the pallet.
20121206_164908.jpg
Mounted on the motor plate.
20121206_171226.jpg
Flywheel cowling installed.
20121206_173731.jpg
Flywheel installed. Much easier to get back on than take off! Remember to install the two bolts that attach the distributor mount before putting the cowling and flywheel on. Duh!
20121206_175215.jpg
Here's the little boo boo that Vitran Express created. I don't think losing an inch of cooling fin will matter much.
20121206_185906.jpg