L555 Please save me from divorce!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza. I'll get hunting as soon as I can. It is only leaking about a teaspoon a month. Actually I'm already running on the cheap oil after draining the oil that had water in it. My plan was to go 20 hours and then change the oil along with the filters. Now I guess I'll be changing the charge pressure switch also. I'm at about 10 hours since the rebuild. I also have a tee at the charge pressure switch with a 6 foot hose running to the cab. So I already have both a gauge and the warning light. I'm glad I had both going or I would be freaking out again thinking that I'd be tearing the hydrostat back out again.
That isn't mush of a leak, but it makes a mess all the same.
Hopefully it's just a leaky fitting, but the fun part is finding where it is......

OP
OP
P

palmtree

That isn't mush of a leak, but it makes a mess all the same.
Hopefully it's just a leaky fitting, but the fun part is finding where it is......
Update on the leak. It seems to have quit leaking. Must have been some oil spilled in the belly of the machine that would drip out after I used it. I haven't seen any drips lately. On the other hand -- there is still a problem with the right side drive. I haven't used it much since the hydrostat rebuild, so I had noticed that it was still not "right". I had some 2" gravel delivered last week and when I pushed into the pile (first time I had really pushed this machine since rebuild) the left side would push until either the tires lost traction or the engine would bog down. On the right side it would just give out before either of these things would happen. For some reason the right side is still not building sufficient pressure. I called the guy that rebuilt the hydrostat and he was very nice and helpful. He said I could try checking the pressure relief valve in the right pump. He said I could just remove them and trade them with the left pump to see if that is the problem. So are there any tricks to doing this on my L555? Just checking before I dive in. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Update on the leak. It seems to have quit leaking. Must have been some oil spilled in the belly of the machine that would drip out after I used it. I haven't seen any drips lately. On the other hand -- there is still a problem with the right side drive. I haven't used it much since the hydrostat rebuild, so I had noticed that it was still not "right". I had some 2" gravel delivered last week and when I pushed into the pile (first time I had really pushed this machine since rebuild) the left side would push until either the tires lost traction or the engine would bog down. On the right side it would just give out before either of these things would happen. For some reason the right side is still not building sufficient pressure. I called the guy that rebuilt the hydrostat and he was very nice and helpful. He said I could try checking the pressure relief valve in the right pump. He said I could just remove them and trade them with the left pump to see if that is the problem. So are there any tricks to doing this on my L555? Just checking before I dive in. Thanks
It does sound like the right side pump isn't quite putting out the pressure it should. Ideally it should bog the engine down when really loaded.
That is a good idea, swapping the relief valves. If it still doesn't act right, you can hook up a 5,000 PSI gauge on the big lines to the motor and see what you get when you push the right stick.