Is my 743B dead?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

oracle_of_ferndale

How do I tell if the engine (1702) in my 743B is blown? It was knocking. I shut it down and changed the oil. Fired it up to get it on a trailer. It quit before I could load it. Engine will not turn over. Is the engine done? Is there something else it could be? How do I tell? If the engine is bad, is it worth rebuilding / replacing, or do I scrap the machine and buy something else? Thanks.

antfarmer2

3800 reman on ebay free shipping 1000 core right now And rebuild kit under 2000 Can't see it from here but sounds bad maybe a rod Where do you live might be interested if you get rid off

Tazza

Staff member
If it did not mess up the pump
If there was a knock and now it isn't turning over, i think you will have to pull the engine no matter what. Pull it out and use a bar to see if it will turn. If it's locked up, you will need to pull it down to see what it needs.

OP
OP
O

oracle_of_ferndale

If there was a knock and now it isn't turning over, i think you will have to pull the engine no matter what. Pull it out and use a bar to see if it will turn. If it's locked up, you will need to pull it down to see what it needs.
Thank you Taz. I will try to pull the engine this weekend.

OP
OP
O

oracle_of_ferndale

I agree with Tazza I hope it's just the u joints fingers crossed
Antfarmer2, Tazza, and others, Thanks for your help. The engine turns easily, but it will not make a full rotation without a little encouragement - is this just compression? How would it be if the engine was blown? When I started pulling the motor, I found that two of the three bolts in the starter had worked loose. Could this be the whole problem? I should have replaced the bolt and tested the motor, but I am not that smart. I went ahead and pulled the engine. I am going to clean out 20+ years of dirt build up and replace a few leaking hoses. What else should I check behind and around the motor? Happy holidays.

antfarmer2

Antfarmer2, Tazza, and others, Thanks for your help. The engine turns easily, but it will not make a full rotation without a little encouragement - is this just compression? How would it be if the engine was blown? When I started pulling the motor, I found that two of the three bolts in the starter had worked loose. Could this be the whole problem? I should have replaced the bolt and tested the motor, but I am not that smart. I went ahead and pulled the engine. I am going to clean out 20+ years of dirt build up and replace a few leaking hoses. What else should I check behind and around the motor? Happy holidays.
The ujoints and the seal on the hydro pump maybe the rear engine seal also the bottom two steal lines behind the engine where they cross am replacing mine now how hard is it to turn over

wbecker319

Oracle, I sure would love to see a picture of the hydraulic lines on the inside of the left wall of the engine compartment. I have a 734B with questions about the forward hydraulic connections to the hoses in the back on the left side. Check my post just a couple posts before yours, listed as wbecker. If you can't post pictures (like me) you could email them to me, [email protected] it would be very much appreciated. As Antfarmer2 said, while the engine is out take a close look at the hydraulic lines from the control valve on the right to where they go down and under to the left side, they like to rust out there. Thanks, Bill

antfarmer2

Oracle, I sure would love to see a picture of the hydraulic lines on the inside of the left wall of the engine compartment. I have a 734B with questions about the forward hydraulic connections to the hoses in the back on the left side. Check my post just a couple posts before yours, listed as wbecker. If you can't post pictures (like me) you could email them to me, [email protected] it would be very much appreciated. As Antfarmer2 said, while the engine is out take a close look at the hydraulic lines from the control valve on the right to where they go down and under to the left side, they like to rust out there. Thanks, Bill
You will have to take out the plastic shroud to see the lines we are talking about while your in there it is a good time to clean the radiator and oil cooler

Latest posts