Can I increase the auxiliary flow on my 743b ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rickyd920

I recently bought a bobcat 743b. I'm very happy with it as it operates great and all the attachments that came with it operate perfectly. But when looking for other attachments (breaker and an auger to run a stump planer bit) I'm not finding those attachments that are rated to work with my 12 gpm flow. Can the auxiliary flow be increased or do I just need to keep researching and looking until I find attachments that will work with my 12 gpm ?
I should say I have found attachments that say they will work but they are all cheap Chinese made and I have heard and read nothing but bad reviews on those attachments.

Tazza

Staff member
If your machine runs a vane pump and not a gear one, putting a larger cartridge would give more flow, the next step up is a bigger gear pump, but surely that would add up a lot faster but then you run the risk of breaking the shaft that runs the pump, and if your control block and hoses are not large enough, it will become a bottle neck and cause more heat generation.

A breaker may not need that much flow, it may just hammer slower? the stump grinder does need a lot of flow, a larger pump on a 743 i don't believe will give you what you need.

OP
OP
R

rickyd920

If your machine runs a vane pump and not a gear one, putting a larger cartridge would give more flow, the next step up is a bigger gear pump, but surely that would add up a lot faster but then you run the risk of breaking the shaft that runs the pump, and if your control block and hoses are not large enough, it will become a bottle neck and cause more heat generation.

A breaker may not need that much flow, it may just hammer slower? the stump grinder does need a lot of flow, a larger pump on a 743 i don't believe will give you what you need.
Thank you. I'm definitely not looking to do any mods that would cause damage to rest of my machine or total up expense greater than buying a bigger machine. Not looking for a regular stump grinder but an auger drive tha could handle a bit that drills and planes the stump.
If I can't find a good auger then I might just buy one of those super cheap made in China ones that claim it can do it with my gpm and just hope for the best

laurencen

we use a breaker and yes putting it on a low flow machine it just takes longer to break concrete, depending on the size of breaker the 743 is too light to handle it anyway, they are also hard on machines, even a high flow snowblower will run on standard flow, do it all the time it just does not throw as far.

Tazza

Staff member
If the auger you're talking about is the style i'm thinking of, it will just turn slower, pressure is what you need vs flow. If you don't have enough pressure, you won't get the torque at the auger to cut the stump up.

haymaker

we use a breaker and yes putting it on a low flow machine it just takes longer to break concrete, depending on the size of breaker the 743 is too light to handle it anyway, they are also hard on machines, even a high flow snowblower will run on standard flow, do it all the time it just does not throw as far.
For sure, there is more than one reason you see machines that weigh up to a ton more than the 743 breaking concrete.

OP
OP
R

rickyd920

Yes, that's what I thought by researching the stump plane bit. It's confusing to me when the specs say needs x amount of torque for the bit and the specs on auger drive says something like needs flow of 7 to 17 and has torque of y amount at 17 gpm. Leaves me wondering well what is the torque at 7 gpm ?
I'm currently getting quotes from dealers and letting them figure out which auger driver will match the bit and work with my machine.
I also know someone else who is getting a bit to put on his auger for his 14 gpm machine. I might wait and see how he makes out and then borrow his auger and bit since his auger works on 9 to 18 gpm