CASE 1845C ICE IN CHAIN CASE

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dispite my best eforts ,I still get water in my chain cases it settles to the bottom overnight and it freezes solid and could break the chain. So I have put 1/2 gallon of glycol antifreese in each case. I will post any problems if they occur.Edwin

Tazza

Staff member
I'd be concerned that it could make the oil break down.
Are the covers not sealed properly allowing water in?

OP
OP
E
I'd be concerned that it could make the oil break down.
Are the covers not sealed properly allowing water in?
Case 1845c machines are notorious for water getting into the chain cases. They have poorly designed cover seals ,some have weld voids.,bad axel housing gaskets , and mayby lots of condensation. Some mechanics just leave the chain case drain plugs out alltogether and just oil the chains manually on ocasion. As for as the oil breaking down ,I really dont know what it would break down into. Every time that I have worked on an old neglected piece of equipment the oil is still oily and greasy. When I bought my machine in jan 2013 the chain covers were out of position and partialy open, it had large blocks of ice and some oil mixed with dirt and chicken feathers.Edwin

Tazza

Staff member
Case 1845c machines are notorious for water getting into the chain cases. They have poorly designed cover seals ,some have weld voids.,bad axel housing gaskets , and mayby lots of condensation. Some mechanics just leave the chain case drain plugs out alltogether and just oil the chains manually on ocasion. As for as the oil breaking down ,I really dont know what it would break down into. Every time that I have worked on an old neglected piece of equipment the oil is still oily and greasy. When I bought my machine in jan 2013 the chain covers were out of position and partialy open, it had large blocks of ice and some oil mixed with dirt and chicken feathers.Edwin
Bobcats design isn't much better, there are a few welds that are entry points for water, even the bolt threads.
I'd like to know how it works out over time though, seems like a decent option.

OP
OP
E
Bobcats design isn't much better, there are a few welds that are entry points for water, even the bolt threads.
I'd like to know how it works out over time though, seems like a decent option.
SUCCESS, It was 9 degrees in St Louis thurs 1212 2013 .I looked and poked around in my chaincase ,the oil was milky looking but no ice. I started the engine ,wrmed it up and drove rite off.So oil water and antifreeze is working for me.Edwin