Any advise? Case 1830 Chain drive rebuild

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mikelv

It all started...
So I broke the drive chain from the hydraulic pump to the central drive sprocket while tearing out some briar. I had been having sporadic binding (loud pops) issues previously, mostly on tight directional changes. I replaced the chain but got caught up in the, While I am in there, thing. The oil was a contaminated so drained it. Looks like someone sprinkled some dirt in there at one time too. (no idea when it was last serviced. I just got it summer 2023). So then I decided to investigate the reason for the broken chain in the first place. Turning the wheels by hand (with chain off of the hydraulic drive). I got a consistent clank clank clank at a frequency higher than that of the chain pitch although it did sound much like a chain banging against a protruding bolt or something. I took off the inspection cover for the central drive/shaft/splitter. I pulled the outer bearing and def needs replaced. lots of small pitting and staining and very gritty. Parts ordered.

Now the question. How do I get the shaft out to replace the inner bearing. I see a grub screw on the sprocket that needs removed. It was easy too as it wasn't even tight. I think that I need to push the shaft in until the shoulder clips (part 26) fall off then pull it out but I am not sure. I have done bearings on cars, trucks before but none had anything that was held together like this. If anyone has done this before I would appreciate help/advise.

1707876464917.png
1707876949943.png

OP
OP
mikelv

mikelv

Well seems it takes forever for these posts to show up. Approval required or some such thing. Anyway, for anyone that might be interested. Yep, you have to push the shaft in to remove the shoulder clips then the shaft should pull out. I say should because mine would not do to a bit of rust buildup on the shaft. I had to disconnect the drive lever connection from the pump and that let me remove the shaft from the inside. Also had to release the 2 forward chains and push the sprocket assembly out of the way for access to pull the bearing races. The bearing on the inside was toast. It fell apart in my hands. I could see on the race marks that looked like the bearings were at times sliding instead of rolling. (not good) The races were a bugger to get out. They are probably the originals although I think the bearings had been placed before because of markings in the area. I remembered I had purchased a set of axle bearing pullers for trucks a couple years ago and were it not for those I think I would have had to cut the races out. There just isn't much of a lip left exposed to pull on with a 3-jaw puller/slide hammer. Only about half of the key was still there. It looks like it had broken in the past and it was put back together with the biggest part which of course was not centered over the grub screw which explains why that was loose.

Still waiting on parts, Axle seal came today, I think the bearings will be here before the weekend.