Can I patch a return hydraulic line?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jd21476

One of my return lines has a pin hole in it and it oozes a little fluid. I would rather not replace the entire line because it is kind of difficult to get to. Is there a product that can be used to patch the line?

OldMachinist

I know of nothing that you can patch a hydraulinc line with that will hold for long. You should just replace it now before it fails catastrophically at the most inappropriate time.

Tazza

Staff member
I know of nothing that you can patch a hydraulinc line with that will hold for long. You should just replace it now before it fails catastrophically at the most inappropriate time.
If its just a wear point and not rust, its easy enough to braze up. I have done this before, i had lines that had wear points so i got the oxy out and patched them up. The problem is, you need to get the oil out first or else the welds will not work right as it heats up.
If its only one point it should be ok, but if there are multiple rust points that are deep, you will be chasing your tail.

OP
OP
J

jd21476

If its just a wear point and not rust, its easy enough to braze up. I have done this before, i had lines that had wear points so i got the oxy out and patched them up. The problem is, you need to get the oil out first or else the welds will not work right as it heats up.
If its only one point it should be ok, but if there are multiple rust points that are deep, you will be chasing your tail.
Sorry, I should point out that these are rubber lines.

skidsteer.ca

Sorry, I should point out that these are rubber lines.
The best would be to bite the bullet and change it. If it has one leak, likley more are coming.
Also the return lines on skidsteers are usually subject to "charge pressure" of say 150 psi. So a nipple and hose clamp fix are pretty much out of the question.
Skidsteer.ca

Tazza

Staff member
The best would be to bite the bullet and change it. If it has one leak, likley more are coming.
Also the return lines on skidsteers are usually subject to "charge pressure" of say 150 psi. So a nipple and hose clamp fix are pretty much out of the question.
Skidsteer.ca
Ken nailed it, if its leaking it needs to be replaced. Over time the rubber cracks and starts to leak. Once that starts, its not going to stop. Take the old one to a hydraulic shop and they can make you one the same as the sample. They aren't THAT expensive.