864 steering won't return on one side

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mibh1

Right hand steering control now falls forward, no neutral centering return spring action. Still returns to center after being pulled backward. Left hand control is unaffected.

It's been rainy so I've not opened it up to see how it all works. From the shop manual I see only one return spring for the two centering blocks at the back of the linkages. Since right reverse and left all return to general just fine I can't see a way the spring could have failed.

Any theories I can chew on while I wait for dry weather?

OP
OP
M

mibh1

Yes it creeps. In fact I need to manually center the right hand lever or else the engine can't start.

laurencen

lift the cab Im thinking the block that you set to get neutral has loosened and makes the lever sloppy feel,

OP
OP
M

mibh1

will lift the cab once the atmospheric rivers stop. note though it is not merely sloppy -- there is no pushback at all from the forward position of the right handle. it still operates the right side hydraulic motor, but has to be pulled back to neutral/center by hand. TY!

laurencen

there will be no pushback as the bloch is not attached to the arn, had one fall off a few years ago,

OP
OP
M

mibh1

Following your lead here I reread the shop manual and watched a few YouTubes and I see what you mean. If one bolt falls out of a centering block or if one pintle cam falls out this symptom would result. Next time I'll dig in before asking questions. TY TY.

haymaker

The experience here usually saves a lot of time, effort and frustration.
People love to help if given a chance.

OP
OP
M

mibh1

Well that was it. Worked fine for six months after it came back from the shop but the blocks on the steering plate were loose on three bolts so I guess they didn't torque them. Anyway the return/centering spring now works on both sides in both directions and now I have to learn how to calibrate for neutral, I've got creep on both sides. The shop manual and YouTube are hopeless for this part but I think I can figure it out now that I've climbed in there and poked around. Thanks again all.

laurencen

here is what I do works every time even my machine the dealer could not get.

under the bolt head and flat washer add a lock washer, reinstall the blocks tighten fully and as close to neutral, with machine on blocks start with left block loosen the bolt maybe 1/8 turn, the block has to remain tight to the lever, move lever to get the neutral and note whuch way block moves, with a long punch or bar tap the block enough to move it but only a little now see what changed, if still creaps repeat till wheel stops,

move to the right lever and repeat, you may have to redo the left but during this process never tighten or loosen the blocks but tight enough they stay put during the process, takes about half hour however its fool proof, once both axles stop creeping tighten the bolts.

I find this process works every time, little bit each tap, for what its worth never had sucess using the service manual way.

Latest posts