Bought a fake 743b that's a 743 - need manual

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tlawdogg

Any luck on the belt? It looks way to far out .
Glad you Tested and found the problem on radiator. Do you have a Good local shop ? Maybe they can repair both the leak(s) and Nipple . I had a local shop that was great for radiators. They are becoming rare these days...

OP
OP
MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8

Any luck on the belt? It looks way to far out .
Glad you Tested and found the problem on radiator. Do you have a Good local shop ? Maybe they can repair both the leak(s) and Nipple . I had a local shop that was great for radiators. They are becoming rare these days...
Ordered a replacement belt as I suspect they put the wrong one on. I'll get it swapped out.

We do have radiator shop in town but this thing is junk. It appears to be corroded all over which means even if you braze the seams and holes you're just chasing the next leak to pop up soon. I've been there before and considering the job it is to get this radiator out I'd rather just replace it. I found a repop for $156 shipped so went that route.

terryy

Hey Guys,

I bought what was presented as a 1990 743B skid steer. After doing lots of digging online I started questioning that and called Bobcat and sure enough they said it's actually a 1986 743. Apparently someone painted and restickered it. Live and learn I suppose.

So Bobcat wanted $50 + tax to give me a link to download the PDF manual on it. Is there anywhere cheaper or even free to find manual information? I need to figure out fluid capacities and how to do some basic maintenance, what coolant to put in, how much, hydraulic fluid, engine oil etc.

There's also a leak on the back I need to figure out. Anyone know what this is leaking and how hard it is to fix? I'm assuming a seal with this lever moves back and forth (see red arrow).

View attachment 5993

Closer view of leak

View attachment 5994

Also anyone know what the two fuses are on the top dash on the left side? One's blown and the other appears good.

Thanks
Malcolm
I had a bobcat with that Kubota engine and same leak. That's the fuel injector. There's a seal or o ring (can't remember exactly) that you need to replace. I bought the seal but I never got around to replacing it and sold or traded in that bobcat. I bought a Cat skidsteer instead of bobcat that we use now.

OP
OP
MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8

I had a bobcat with that Kubota engine and same leak. That's the fuel injector. There's a seal or o ring (can't remember exactly) that you need to replace. I bought the seal but I never got around to replacing it and sold or traded in that bobcat. I bought a Cat skidsteer instead of bobcat that we use now.
I took that plate apart and found it's not a fuel injector. It's the throttle linkage cable rod. On the underside of the plate it went to some springs that it pulled. I got a new o-ring in easy enough but the top seal that sits over the o-ring is a custom piece so I had to order that part.

helpnotamechinic

So here's how I found the radiator nipple. It was just dangling in the old hose that was there.

View attachment 6249

So I grabbed a compression sleeve that fit right inside and the lip hooked from inside the radiator filler neck. This would be used to make the repair.

View attachment 6250

Then it was JB welded together. Not my most favorite thing to do but trying to get this machine going.

View attachment 6251

Then I needed a reservoir so I found one online and fabbed up this bracket to hold it.

View attachment 6252

With reservoir attached.

View attachment 6253

Found a spot right over the battery on the right side to attach it. Somewhat close to the radiator.

View attachment 6254

View attachment 6255

The strange thing is the cooling system does not push any fluid inside the container. The level doesn't go up and it doesn't seem to burp itself and pull back any fluid either once it cools down. I ran the unit for about an hour to try and fully heat soak it moving dirt around and tree logs etc. trying to give it a bit of a work out. After it cooled I see the fluid is down in the radiator but it did not suck anything out of the reservoir.

So I replaced the radiator cap thinking perhaps it was worn or failed and no luck still. Same thing. Never pushes fluid into reservoir when it gets hot or draws any back when it cools yet the fluid level is low in the radiator after a run. When I say low, it's loosing about 8 oz each hour session.

I changed the engine oil and no signs of fluid contamination. I have a feeling there's a coolant leak somewhere. I think next when I get a chance I'll hook up my coolant pressure test kit to the filler neck and pump it up to 7 PSI. My bet is it will not hold pressure. Then it's just a case of finding the leak.

Any ideas feel free to throw them in :)

Thanks
Malcolm
My mom had a 1987 743 the getting hot sounds like what hers would do. Below where the radiator is mounted 2 panels coverings the oil cooler probably needs cleaning out, an the flywheel is what hat stirs the air for cooling the engine like my mom's I bet the shroud is full of a slurry so it doesn't stir up enough air

helpnotamechinic

From the wiring diagrams I was able to find it's for the lights. That's on my todo list. In the mean time I have an over heating issue I'm working on.
I discovered there's supposed to be a coolant reservoir in there that's missing and the hose was just dangling there. So each heat cycle it would just push fluid out the hose and then suck air back in when it cools. I bought a generic reservoir that would work and built a bracket to install it only to find the overflow nipple on the radiator is snapped off. So trying to get the radiator out now to see if a radiator shop can fix that or if I need a new radiator. Hopefully it's fixable.
A you need to be sure the u joint is greased you have to pull the motor out. At least that's what I found out

OP
OP
MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8

My mom had a 1987 743 the getting hot sounds like what hers would do. Below where the radiator is mounted 2 panels coverings the oil cooler probably needs cleaning out, an the flywheel is what hat stirs the air for cooling the engine like my mom's I bet the shroud is full of a slurry so it doesn't stir up enough air
I found my radiator does not hold pressure. I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks for the replacement to come in. It should be here today! knock on wood lol
So it's basically been pushing out coolant, getting low and then over heating due to lack of fluid.
I did pull everything apart including those flaps you referenced and have degreased and power washed my oil cooler. Before I pulled it apart I could feel large amounts of air pushing out from the blower so that seemed ok but I will try and inspect further while it's apart.

A you need to be sure the u joint is greased you have to pull the motor out. At least that's what I found out
I think you lost me? which part requires a u joint gets greased? For which issue?

Markle

Ujoint connects flywheel to hydraulic pump input shaft. With cab up and by laying on top of hyd pump, someone with long arms can reach back, with difficulty and blindly, grease the zerks…but it's a stinker. Sometimes it may be easier to pull engine back. Spline on ujoint just slides off pump spline. If you search the forum "bobcat 743 ujoint " you should see several earlier threads.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8

Oh I see. This is just good recommended service tip when doing maintenance? Or is there an issue I'm addressing here?

EDIT: OK found the threads and see it's a maintenance item to grease so it doesn't fail. Also sounds like a royal pain to access so we'll see how it goes :)

Last edited:

Markle

Oh I see. This is just good recommended service tip when doing maintenance? Or is there an issue I'm addressing here?

EDIT: OK found the threads and see it's a maintenance item to grease so it doesn't fail. Also sounds like a royal pain to access so we'll see how it goes :)
Yes, preventive maintenance. I've seen the catastrophic damage caused by the ujoint that self destructs…always flywheel damage, maybe bending hydraulic pump input shaft , etc.

OP
OP
MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8

Yes, preventive maintenance. I've seen the catastrophic damage caused by the ujoint that self destructs…always flywheel damage, maybe bending hydraulic pump input shaft , etc.
Thank for you for the info, now that I'm aware we've added this to our maintenance we'll be doing shortly. From the threads I've read I can do it with the cab up laying on my belly and reaching around with a longer 3' extension on the grease gun and a helper. We'll give that shot before pulling the motor.

Thank for you for the info, now that I'm aware we've added this to our maintenance we'll be doing shortly. From the threads I've read I can do it with the cab up laying on my belly and reaching around with a longer 3' extension on the grease gun and a helper. We'll give that shot before pulling the motor.
Careful w the use of the term reach around. 😂 sorry couldn't resist

Latest posts