Bobcat 450 won't start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Farmallh51

Thought I would post a common problem, my Bobcat 450 wouldn't start Friday and after further investigation I was not getting gas to the engine. I have had this issue in the past an looked into the fuel tank to see if the fuel line and pickup filter screen was attached and it was. I suspected that maybe the fuel solenoid located on the top of the tank was bad. Further investigation proved me wrong and had me wondering what the issue could be. I decided to put a small amount of air into the fuel line after checking the fuel filter and solenoid. Low pressure air placed into the 90 degree connector at the top of the tank pickup line came out a crack in the hose at the top of the fuel tank! Now I new were the issue was and was glad to find it as it is an easy fix that I have done 3 time over the last 5 years. My question for the group is has anyone found a fuel line that will holdup? I have tried fuel line from auto parts stores and from Bobcat, I have gotten a little over 2 years out of the last line from Bobcat which is much better than the auto parts store lines.

Tazza

Staff member
I wonder if a better brand could help? I think i used gates hose? it's suitable for immersion in fuel without issues.
I wonder if it could be additives in your fuel messing with the rubber.

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

I wonder if a better brand could help? I think i used gates hose? it's suitable for immersion in fuel without issues.
I wonder if it could be additives in your fuel messing with the rubber.
You could be correct Tazza, modern gas is bad on plastic internals. The line Bobcat gave me is clear and plastic which I believe is the issue as modern gas will destroy plastic over time. What is happening is the hose breaks just below the 90 on the top of the tank. They use a special clamp to fit into the tank hole the hose breaks off at the 90 and when you fish it out of the tank it is soft. I am thinking the reason for plastic hose is the use of the small special clamp Bobcat uses to fit through the hole in the tank. Maybe the answer is to replace the line every year or modify the top opening of the tank. Gates and NAPA both make submersible hose but it maybe to thick for this application. I am sure others have had the same issue. Tanks Tazza you have given me something I can think about for a solution to a problem.

Tazza

Staff member
You could be correct Tazza, modern gas is bad on plastic internals. The line Bobcat gave me is clear and plastic which I believe is the issue as modern gas will destroy plastic over time. What is happening is the hose breaks just below the 90 on the top of the tank. They use a special clamp to fit into the tank hole the hose breaks off at the 90 and when you fish it out of the tank it is soft. I am thinking the reason for plastic hose is the use of the small special clamp Bobcat uses to fit through the hole in the tank. Maybe the answer is to replace the line every year or modify the top opening of the tank. Gates and NAPA both make submersible hose but it maybe to thick for this application. I am sure others have had the same issue. Tanks Tazza you have given me something I can think about for a solution to a problem.
I don't like the new fuel either, thankfully we get the choice (for now) to use non blended fuel. I have heard it can eat up older non compatible fuel lines.