Almost impossible to start deutz in bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lesgawlik

Lesgawik and sstec, How did you determine the timing was off? I used timing pins when the belt was done. Big bolt on crank was NOT touched. Timing pins were screwed in all the way. Over the last few days I've done the pickup tube, drained the tank, refilled with fresh diesel and replaced ALL of the fuel lines. May recheck the timing again just incase. Tazza, I removed the injectors and hung them from the injector lines. They are all spraying. This was going to be my "keeper" to have around the house for awhile, but I just picked up a kubota powered S250. This is my third deutz, the previous 2 were great.
I don't know. I had the machine at a shop to do a pre-buy inspection. The machine was very hard to start. The battery was good, and it spun the starter very well. But it took four or five cranks of 30 secs each to get the machine running, and when it started, it didn't have much power. The guys in the shop thought it was one or more bad injectors. I wanted the timing belt changed before I took it home, so I asked them to do that. They said when they replaced the belt, they noticed the timing was off a tooth. I know Deutz makes a kit that includes the pins, but I don't know what they saw initially that led them to conclude the timing was off. With the new belt, the engine starts in much less than a second, even when I forget to glow it.

sstec

Lesgawik and sstec, How did you determine the timing was off? I used timing pins when the belt was done. Big bolt on crank was NOT touched. Timing pins were screwed in all the way. Over the last few days I've done the pickup tube, drained the tank, refilled with fresh diesel and replaced ALL of the fuel lines. May recheck the timing again just incase. Tazza, I removed the injectors and hung them from the injector lines. They are all spraying. This was going to be my "keeper" to have around the house for awhile, but I just picked up a kubota powered S250. This is my third deutz, the previous 2 were great.
Mike, The first time I did mine by the Bobcat Manual..... Ran the same with smoke, researched until I found EPU, called them, talked to Ron. rented their tool kit, (i already had the pins ). They sent the 9 pages of deutz instructions. Ron gave me his cell # and said to call if I had any questions. Which I did... after re-reading their 9 pages verse bobcat 1/2 page, replaced pushrods and rocker arm bolts per EPU guidelines. Set proper tension with gage provided. I'm a believer, runs ways better then it ever did, fuel consumption went way down and better power. Mine was off by one tooth on the crank, who ever did it before I owned it, had it replaced and traded it in shortly after. Don't loose hope, it can be fixed. sstec

lesgawlik

Mike, The first time I did mine by the Bobcat Manual..... Ran the same with smoke, researched until I found EPU, called them, talked to Ron. rented their tool kit, (i already had the pins ). They sent the 9 pages of deutz instructions. Ron gave me his cell # and said to call if I had any questions. Which I did... after re-reading their 9 pages verse bobcat 1/2 page, replaced pushrods and rocker arm bolts per EPU guidelines. Set proper tension with gage provided. I'm a believer, runs ways better then it ever did, fuel consumption went way down and better power. Mine was off by one tooth on the crank, who ever did it before I owned it, had it replaced and traded it in shortly after. Don't loose hope, it can be fixed. sstec
To give you an idea, I ran my machine today for the first time in about 2 months. It came up with a low voltage code, and so didn't glow the engine. I hit start anyway to see what would happen. The outside temperature was about 30*. Even with no glow and ice cold the engine started up in about 1/2 second. When I bought the machine and the timing was off, the temperature was in the 80's, and like yours, it was almost impossible to start.