763 Hulk tires? w/ Grouser tracks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ironwood

OK, I bought a 763 machine with worn out skidsteer tires and I would like to replace them with "Hulk L-5" style tires (Titan makes them also) and would like some input. I am moving about 1000-1500 ton of fill a year from local paver (busted concrete to pavement to slag), and also from local Township crews and local Water Co. (mud/sludge/dirt/rock). I would fill them with the new, "reused" TyrFill brand of foam which is $125 per tire plus the Hulks ($400 tire), so for $1700 I would have a flat proof set up that I could slip my Grouser brand tracks over when the stuff gets slimey and/or I am doing "dirt work" around my 20 acres. Any input? I have run a 763 ALOT over the years, my one excavator had one he rented me (with tracks sometimes), and I also ran when he was here working, and another local rental shop had one. Here are tires from Bobcat called "severe duty" http://www.bobcat.com/partsandservice/tires_and_tracks/genuine_tires#1 Any input? Thanks Ironwood

OP
OP
I

Ironwood

Grouser says tracks should not be used with solid or foam filled tires. See page 2 of instructions.
http://www.grouser.com/pdfs/Hard%20&%20Soft%20Track%20Mounting%20Instructions.pdf
OldMach. Thanks, I did not see that detail, and on the Bar Track instructions (my style) it said the same thing. I got mine used (hardly used) and for about 1/3 -1/4 cost of new. I dont mind if it eventually harms the track, just wouldnt want it to hurt the machine. I wonder to what extent it could damage the track? I will be going to my BC dealer tomorrow I will inquire. ThANKS FOR BRINGING THIS TO MY ATTENTION.

Fishfiles

OldMach. Thanks, I did not see that detail, and on the Bar Track instructions (my style) it said the same thing. I got mine used (hardly used) and for about 1/3 -1/4 cost of new. I dont mind if it eventually harms the track, just wouldnt want it to hurt the machine. I wonder to what extent it could damage the track? I will be going to my BC dealer tomorrow I will inquire. ThANKS FOR BRINGING THIS TO MY ATTENTION.
I don't think damage to the tracks is the problem it's the drive train you need to worry about ------------I have run grousser on top of foam filled tires , segemented tires and solid tires on Bobcats and never seen any drive train damage occur , can't say the same for the Case 1840 and 1845's , the Cases axle carriers don't hold up to it as I have rebuilt a least a dozen axle carriers that were destroyed from running segmented tires and tracks ------------- the best setup I think for tires and tracks is the Aircraft recapped tires from Toby Sexton Tire

OP
OP
I

Ironwood

I don't think damage to the tracks is the problem it's the drive train you need to worry about ------------I have run grousser on top of foam filled tires , segemented tires and solid tires on Bobcats and never seen any drive train damage occur , can't say the same for the Case 1840 and 1845's , the Cases axle carriers don't hold up to it as I have rebuilt a least a dozen axle carriers that were destroyed from running segmented tires and tracks ------------- the best setup I think for tires and tracks is the Aircraft recapped tires from Toby Sexton Tire
Fishfiles, Given your experience, what do you think of running the severe duty tires air filled with the Grouser tracks? The BC dealer said I may need to run them a bit tighter since the tires lack the "gap" to grab the traction bar, and he didnt know if they would slip too much. I REALLY want the severe duty tires as I will be in some fields cleaning up barn demo material and who know what I may encounter. For instance I have a job retrieving the timbers from two barns that where brought to a field and stored with a bunch of other iron, machines, rock and stuff. The grass is high and while I can "pregrade" my way in, there is no telling what may be lurking. On the Toby Sexton, can I still run my tracks designed for 10x16.5 tires if I bump to their 12.5/60-15 24 ply? Ironwood

Rich M-37

Fishfiles, Given your experience, what do you think of running the severe duty tires air filled with the Grouser tracks? The BC dealer said I may need to run them a bit tighter since the tires lack the "gap" to grab the traction bar, and he didnt know if they would slip too much. I REALLY want the severe duty tires as I will be in some fields cleaning up barn demo material and who know what I may encounter. For instance I have a job retrieving the timbers from two barns that where brought to a field and stored with a bunch of other iron, machines, rock and stuff. The grass is high and while I can "pregrade" my way in, there is no telling what may be lurking. On the Toby Sexton, can I still run my tracks designed for 10x16.5 tires if I bump to their 12.5/60-15 24 ply? Ironwood
Ironwood, What I did not see any one post was that if you get a rock or some debris caught between the track and tire, some thing has got to give, either the tire, track, or worse the drive chain in the chain case, as well as the axle bearings. Rich M-37

7LBSSMALLIE

Ironwood, What I did not see any one post was that if you get a rock or some debris caught between the track and tire, some thing has got to give, either the tire, track, or worse the drive chain in the chain case, as well as the axle bearings. Rich M-37
if you an owner operator. shouldnt make much of a differance. you what it should feel sound smell like. if jimmy joe blow is running youre unit than it makes a differance .dont drive thru a bind you can feel it in the sticks . that being said as to warrenty coverage (which is no longer applicable) the only aproved foam fill for over the tire tracks, is called superflex. if it was me as an owener operator i would put bchw 10x16.5s put sealant in them. check air pressure every morning as part of my daily inspection. (this is when you take 8 mins to grease check fluids look for loose missing hardware.(as stated in the operators man) have an air compressor handy and keep a plug kit on hand. 90 % of flat tire issues can be avoided with these simple steps.

OP
OP
I

Ironwood

if you an owner operator. shouldnt make much of a differance. you what it should feel sound smell like. if jimmy joe blow is running youre unit than it makes a differance .dont drive thru a bind you can feel it in the sticks . that being said as to warrenty coverage (which is no longer applicable) the only aproved foam fill for over the tire tracks, is called superflex. if it was me as an owener operator i would put bchw 10x16.5s put sealant in them. check air pressure every morning as part of my daily inspection. (this is when you take 8 mins to grease check fluids look for loose missing hardware.(as stated in the operators man) have an air compressor handy and keep a plug kit on hand. 90 % of flat tire issues can be avoided with these simple steps.
Thanks for the responses. I had a guy here excavating for me 10 or so years ago, I was rock hammering while he dozed. His 763 had Lohering tracks and I did blow a bead one time when a rock got in and couldnt get out. This was some tough going, rock hammering "blue rock" as we call it locally. So, I know what you mean about "feeling it". Additonally, his tires had "slime" in them and it was a mess, but I hear what you both are saying. My current thought is Bobcat brand severe duty tire (theirs are actually less expensive and likely the same or better than the Hulk), my local tire shop buddies said $304 each for the Titan equivalent to the Hulk/BC severe duty, Bobcat was $235. Both included mounting. I am concerned about tracks being able to "grab" the tire, but I guess run them a litle snug. Ironwood

7LBSSMALLIE

Thanks for the responses. I had a guy here excavating for me 10 or so years ago, I was rock hammering while he dozed. His 763 had Lohering tracks and I did blow a bead one time when a rock got in and couldnt get out. This was some tough going, rock hammering "blue rock" as we call it locally. So, I know what you mean about "feeling it". Additonally, his tires had "slime" in them and it was a mess, but I hear what you both are saying. My current thought is Bobcat brand severe duty tire (theirs are actually less expensive and likely the same or better than the Hulk), my local tire shop buddies said $304 each for the Titan equivalent to the Hulk/BC severe duty, Bobcat was $235. Both included mounting. I am concerned about tracks being able to "grab" the tire, but I guess run them a litle snug. Ironwood
logering track spec if im not mistaken should be 2/1/2 3/1/2 i would check spec but better too loose than too tight. if too loose they slip if too tight when you grab (imoovable object irrestabile force) you bust chains. hopefully if not carriers. if too looose nothing more than an adjustment you can even let em all out and drop apad and adjust from there. if you think about it 1/2 inch times 36 links = quite a bit of play. to bring em back to spec is labor intensive. parts arent cheap either but any one with skills can do it. just rember smoke out the bolts go back witn new and new links