743 crank case breather smoking

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bwiley

I am looking at a mid 80's 743 desiel that has a lot of smoke/oil mix coming out the breather. The main exhoust is ok and the engine starts and runs good. How bad is it to have this blow by. I am buying from a freind and want to be fair. Thanks

BobCat

How many hrs? Being it's a friend buy some Auto RX and have him run it with a clean oil change. If it's packed rings they will loosen and bingo. If not it would be a no thanks for me.

OP
OP
B

bwiley

How many hrs? Being it's a friend buy some Auto RX and have him run it with a clean oil change. If it's packed rings they will loosen and bingo. If not it would be a no thanks for me.
Thanks guys The hours are pretty high. Its an 84 or 85. Additionally, it has sat with very little use for 4 or 5 years because of an illness in the faimily. I was thinking rings but was hoping it could be something easy.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks guys The hours are pretty high. Its an 84 or 85. Additionally, it has sat with very little use for 4 or 5 years because of an illness in the faimily. I was thinking rings but was hoping it could be something easy.
A new set of rings may help, but depending on the hours it may need a full rebuild.
If it still starts and runs well, and if you just want it for farm use, it will be fine. Just keep an eye on the oil level every time you go to use it.
I had a machine with about 6,500 hours. It was a pig to start, but when it was going, it ran all day, no smoke. It was very well worn, the hardest part was starting it in the morning. When it was warm, it would start easily.

mlsteele

What is Auto RX and where can you buy it???

sspdiesel

What is Auto RX and where can you buy it???
Smoke . Steam , Pressure Pressure Is what You are looking for that is blowby , Keep in mind That If The machine hasn't been used there is alot of moisture in the crank case which some time cause the steam . One thing about these small diesel, They do Not start when it is cold with low compression , blowby . Go there when It is cold and Have him start it you will tell right away by the smoke and how hard it will start . stay away from additives in my opition . Another Thing to check Be cafeful is to crack a injection line per cylinder and see if it drops rpm equally . The carefull part do not put your hand in the spray hold the wrench long away from the injector this will tell you if it is in one cylinder or all . Some times When They overheat the engines the end cylinders get damaged . Watch smoke while doing this . This test Is called a cylinder Cut out .