Won't turn over

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

IM JACK

Hi everyone. I have a bobcat 553 that has been sitting for 2 years it ran when I parked it. I haven't started it sense. I just put a new battery in it and I hear the starter slam into place, but that's it. The battery is stronger but the flywheel is not turning. What would be my plan of attack on this fix? Thanks in advance

brdgbldr

Hi everyone. I have a bobcat 553 that has been sitting for 2 years it ran when I parked it. I haven't started it sense. I just put a new battery in it and I hear the starter slam into place, but that's it. The battery is stronger but the flywheel is not turning. What would be my plan of attack on this fix? Thanks in advance
See if you can turn the crank with a wrench. You may want to see if you can get a little oil into the cylinders since they may have rusted a bit.

You also may want to change out the old fuel before cranking it.

cdmccul

Not familiar with your machine, but my advice would be to try and turn the motor by hand. Even just a fraction of a turn.

It should turn with some effort, but if it takes a lot to turn it and feels really tight, don't force it.

cdmccul

See if you can turn the crank with a wrench. You may want to see if you can get a little oil into the cylinders since they may have rusted a bit.

You also may want to change out the old fuel before cranking it.
What he said! Haha

oiu789

If the engine can be turned over by hand.The solenoid is pulling in the drive but the contacts that power the starter motor may be corroded and the starter motor is not being energized. Place a test light on the terminal coming out of the solenoid to ground and see if it lights when you try to start it. Or pull the starter and bench test it.

foton

like mentioned above oil the cylinders by pulling the glow plugs ( I assume it has them) and if you got some spray fogging oil in hole of all three , use something like a beaker bar on crank bolt rocking it back and fourth, it should come loose without a lot of effort. when it unsticks roll it over a few times add more oil and briefly use starter motor, if all seems ok put in glow plugs check the quality of your fuel, and say a prayer and try to start it. good luck