wheel spacers: make them?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jklingel

I've searched, but can't find.... Somewhere (tractorbynet?) I read about folks making their own wheel spacers, essentially just a steel donut w/ eight holes in it. Obviously, longer lugs are also needed. Question: Is going this route and longer lugs as good as the commercial spacers I have seen that have 8 holes and 8 lugs in them? (These bolt to the wheel backing plate, then you bolt your wheel to the spacer.) It seems the longer lugs would be structurally inferior; break easier. Thanks. j

carl johansson

spacers will be the donut with the 8 holes for lugs to stick through. A bolt on "spacer" with lugs attached would technically be a wheel adapter (at least in car terms, I assume it's the same.) Adapters are safer and can handle more torque than a spacer setup (once agin I speak from a race car point of view - I'm assuming it's the same for a skid steer!) Carl Johansson

mllud

spacers will be the donut with the 8 holes for lugs to stick through. A bolt on "spacer" with lugs attached would technically be a wheel adapter (at least in car terms, I assume it's the same.) Adapters are safer and can handle more torque than a spacer setup (once agin I speak from a race car point of view - I'm assuming it's the same for a skid steer!) Carl Johansson
Have you checked to see if your wheels cant be turned around. On my N.H. the wheels are offset centers. I run tracks without spacers. I just turned the wheels around.I dont know if my wheels are aftermarket of factory. Mike

mclarenusa.com

Hi jklingel,
Just wanted to inform you that we carry 2" spacers. They are typically used with our Protrac over-the-tire tracks. The spacer mounts onto the existing lugs on the machine. You would then mount the tires onto the lugs that come on the spacers. Our tracks can weight up to about 1,500 lbs, but we rarely come across customers that have problems with the studs breaking.
Hope this helps,
www.mclarenusa.com

perry

Hi jklingel,
Just wanted to inform you that we carry 2" spacers. They are typically used with our Protrac over-the-tire tracks. The spacer mounts onto the existing lugs on the machine. You would then mount the tires onto the lugs that come on the spacers. Our tracks can weight up to about 1,500 lbs, but we rarely come across customers that have problems with the studs breaking.
Hope this helps,
www.mclarenusa.com
I have a set yet to be installed, you would need access to CNC to make them..IMO.

Bandit1047

I have a set yet to be installed, you would need access to CNC to make them..IMO.
It helps to have a CNC lathe and vertical machining center. The spacers need a grove on one side and a lip on the other side. Otherwise you are running on the lugs of both the machine and the spacer, not a good idea. The spacers also need to have the front and back parallel or they will wobble, also not good. Best to buy them, buy the time you purchase the small quantity of steel and go through the programming cost for the CNC's and then scrap 1 piece and need to remake it, are you getting the idea hear? There is also an opertunity cost that most people don't consider. While you are trying to make these things you can't be making other parts that you can sell and you can't be working someplace making the money to purchase the spacers. I know, I should have just kept my mouth shut but it's a sickness. Oh buy the way, you are also going to need a counter bore tool that cuts a flar bottom for the nuts. Sorry couldn't help myself.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

It helps to have a CNC lathe and vertical machining center. The spacers need a grove on one side and a lip on the other side. Otherwise you are running on the lugs of both the machine and the spacer, not a good idea. The spacers also need to have the front and back parallel or they will wobble, also not good. Best to buy them, buy the time you purchase the small quantity of steel and go through the programming cost for the CNC's and then scrap 1 piece and need to remake it, are you getting the idea hear? There is also an opertunity cost that most people don't consider. While you are trying to make these things you can't be making other parts that you can sell and you can't be working someplace making the money to purchase the spacers. I know, I should have just kept my mouth shut but it's a sickness. Oh buy the way, you are also going to need a counter bore tool that cuts a flar bottom for the nuts. Sorry couldn't help myself.
I get everyone's drift here. The short answer is "No. Don't even attempt to make them." Got it. I have no idea what a CNC lathe is, but not having any lathe and reading of all the details required in the manufacturing of said spacers, no way. I'll buy them if need be. I will also check on swapping my wheels instead, and what that means to valve stems. It sure seemed like longer wheel studs were a bad idea for a skid steer; glad that was verified. Thanks. john

mllud

I get everyone's drift here. The short answer is "No. Don't even attempt to make them." Got it. I have no idea what a CNC lathe is, but not having any lathe and reading of all the details required in the manufacturing of said spacers, no way. I'll buy them if need be. I will also check on swapping my wheels instead, and what that means to valve stems. It sure seemed like longer wheel studs were a bad idea for a skid steer; glad that was verified. Thanks. john
Turning the wheels around puts the valve stems at a disadvantage.Its my understanding you can drill holes and add a second set to the opposite side. Mike

skidsteer.ca

CNC = computer numerical control.
Which I'm sure you could get by with a standard lathe. I have heard of ones being made for 1" offset.
A lip is machined inside and outside so the spacer is centered in the wheel and centered on the axel and the studs are extended to pass right through the spacer. You only use one set of nuts, on the wheel. The stud hole would not be too critcal, as to the location, so long as the studs pass through, as the nuts don't tighten to the spacers. So no chamfer would be required on the holes. I agree the longer the stud the more chance the torque on the axel breaking things loose.
Ken

perry

CNC = computer numerical control.
Which I'm sure you could get by with a standard lathe. I have heard of ones being made for 1" offset.
A lip is machined inside and outside so the spacer is centered in the wheel and centered on the axel and the studs are extended to pass right through the spacer. You only use one set of nuts, on the wheel. The stud hole would not be too critcal, as to the location, so long as the studs pass through, as the nuts don't tighten to the spacers. So no chamfer would be required on the holes. I agree the longer the stud the more chance the torque on the axel breaking things loose.
Ken
Here you go................

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-wheel-spacers...ryZ50908QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem