What kind of work can I do with Very Heavy duty skid steers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

aidanmellen

Whats up friends, Need some general advice. I've been really trying to get into the skid steer business of things and I ended up picking up a bobcat 980 that runs really good and on a good deal. Awesome right!? Well If you know anything about the bobcat 980 it is a very large machine, nearly 8 feet wide and a whopping weight of 14,000 lbs! I really don't have much experience other than common use with skid steers and really was just jumping head first into the idea of a business. I was looking to get into just some residential work like backyard landscaping and grading but I'm starting to think my machine is going to be a little bit too big for that kind of stuff. Before I jump off my sinking ship and sell my machine, based on experience what kind of work can I get into with that machine? Am I overthinking it, can I still do backyard work with that machine? What other work can I look to advertise with that specific machine? I do live in an area that snows a lot and I could maybe get into snow removal? Anyways thanks in advanced this community seems like an awesome place!

laurencen

thats one big machine, be a good mulcher for fence lines, just looking around our acerage only thing it would do well is tree spade work

mrbb

if your new to working on peoples property with equipment, my best advice is, learn the legal sided of things and know what insurance you need, to have your ass covered when folks claim you did damage to there property
most home owners don't get driveways rated for the weight of your machine, and you never know about whats under the ground on many properties, , like septic systems, drain lines and so on! and many home owners don;t even know where things are! (but are pretty quick to claim you damaged them, HAHA!)

damaging the things can get costly really fast!
heavy machines can very easy damage folks yards,driveways and so on, and the money you make can quickly be money you owe.
so my advice would be learn this side of things before you start working any where!
maybe you already know, I have no clue, but that would be where I would start
just owning a machine and wanting to make money with it, is only a small part of what you need to be safe and cover your ass on liability concerns!

and last, NOT sure what state your in, but in many states, you legally need a CDL to tow a machine that heavy
so again, knowing the legal side of things is a great place to start before , figuring out what types of jobs you can do

the spec's of your machine will dictate what work it can or cannot do for the most part!
big and heavy machines are good for heavier tasks, but not as nimble for small things, ,
best of luck to you!

gjinc

The 980 has planetary's, no parts available anymore . They call it "Big Bob" for a reason.
Wish I could get one

Latest posts