What is the right grapple for me?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tinknal

I just bought my first ever skid steer. It's a 743. I will be using the grapple in my scrap business, mostly loading and piling up sheet metal, appliances, etc, and for cutting firewood. How wide a grapple will this machine handle, and what type of grapple do you think I will be happiest with?

Tazza

Staff member
It will take just about any bucket you throw at it, the issue is the wider it is, the heavier it is and less you can lift with it.
Personally, i'd stick with the standard 6', just enough to clear your tyres.
Being a scrap business, you'll want solid tyres, i know a guy that uses one at his scrap yard, he runs solids now, but it's rough on it and the operator.

OP
OP
T

tinknal

It will take just about any bucket you throw at it, the issue is the wider it is, the heavier it is and less you can lift with it.
Being a scrap business, you'll want solid tyres, i know a guy that uses one at his scrap yard, he runs solids now, but it's rough on it and the operator.
Yeah, I am looking for a 60 or 66 inch grapple. I'm thinking of getting the tires foamed.

OP
OP
T

tinknal

I have a bid in on a 72 inch E series. I'll know if I got it on the 29th.